Reliability Availability Maintainability Safety System Engineer
Business Unit: Mobility (MO)
Requisition Number: 233647
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens US Talent Acquisition
At Siemens Mobility we live and nurture an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you.
The Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety (RAMS) System Engineer handles the reliability and safety aspects of all our rail vehicle contracts. In this role, you will apply your proven knowledge of reliability and safety analysis techniques and methodologies on the technology we use on our rail vehicles which includes microprocessor controlled systems, hardwired relay logic, electro-mechanical equipment, power electronics, hydraulics, and mechanical equipment. You will collaborate closely with various sub-systems engineers to gain sufficient sub-system knowledge and apply reliability and safety analysis techniques appropriately. You are the interface to our customers in design reviews regarding any reliability and safety topics on the contracts you are supporting. You will drive the internal discussions with our suppliers to obtain the necessary inputs for your work and analysis. As a reliability and safety guide you will build and update all the meaningful reliability and safety documents, which include internal specifications, suppliers specifications and more
What you will be doing
- Define requirements and prepares program plans for RAMS tasks.
- Provides RAMS recommendations to designs to ensure requirements are addressed in the rail vehicle design specifications and operating/maintenance procedures.
- Communicate reliability targets and safety requirements to suppliers.
- Perform Failure Mode Effects Criticality Analysis (FMECA).
- Submit Reliability and Maintainability Predictions.
- Deliver Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA).
- Provide Fault Tree Analysis (FTA).
- Collect Occupational Safety and Health Administration related supporting documents.
- Capture RAMS requirements from our suppliers to support analysis throughout the design. Elaboration of Reliability, Safety program plans, Reliability Demonstration programs and maintenance plans.
- Collaborates in design reviews.
- Compiles reliability and safety analyses for submittal to customer.
- Support the Reliability Demonstration Program to validate the reliability of our systems.
- Deliver Life Cycle Cost analysis.
- Runs and maintains a system that ensures the feedback of experience from vehicle operation into the design by applying suitable analysis techniques to reliability data from site.
What you will need
- 3 to 5 years or more RAMS experience in industry.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - verbal, written and presentation
- Detailed knowledge of RAMS-related topics including predictions, allocations, FMECA, relevant Military standards, Life Cycle Cost, safety analysis (preliminary, fault tree, fault hazards, operating, and interface hazards), reliability demonstrations and failure review boards.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical equipment typically installed on railway vehicles in order to apply this knowledge to an in-depth RAMS analysis of the components, the interfaces between these components and the overall vehicle.
- Engineering degree
- You can work in the United States
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability