EHS Specialist 2
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 233707
Primary Location: United States-Delaware-Newark
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
EHS SPECIALIST 2
Siemens Healthineers Laboratory Diagnostics – Glasgow, DE Site
This position is an Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist for the Siemens Healthineers site in Glasgow, Delaware. As a part of the EHS Team reporting to the site’s Sr. Manager, EHS, the successful candidate will guide programs to address Environment, Health and Safety regulations and standards (may include OSHA, EPA, DOT and other government agencies). The position supports and drives continuous improvement in the EHS Management System at the site, works with the business to drive improvements and identifies solutions to EHS issues/challenges.
This position offers an opportunity to have a positive impact on the environment and on people’s health and safety in a complex and multi-disciplinary work site. The successful candidate will be a hands-on resource for employees and support EHS programs as follows:
- Guide site environment, safety and health programs including but not limited to emergency preparedness, electrical safety, LOTO, machine guarding, contractor/construction safety, air emission management, hazardous waste disposal, fall protection, cranes, hoists and lifts, powered industrial truck safety and respiratory protection.
- Manage site’s waste programs (RCRA Hazardous Waste, Infectious Waste and non-hazardous chemical waste) including: collection, classification, packaging, and shipping.
- Provide guidance on facilities or engineering projects in order to protect area workers and ensure compliance to applicable legal standards.
- Lead or facilitate the investigation and root cause analysis of EHS incidents.
- Interface with employees across the site organization to assure compliance with EHS legal requirements and to drive EHS performance; including as necessary with EHS regulatory agencies for permitting and reporting.
- Manage the site’s compliance calendar, ensuring that regulatory requirements are completed on-time by members of the EHS team or other supporting functions.
- Lead, develop and contribute to EHS teams.
- Participate in the internal EHS audit process at the site to ensure compliance with EHS regulations and conformance with ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 through the Healthcare EHS Mgmt. System.
- Guide the completion of employee training in EHS policy and procedures
- Support functional tasks within the EHS department such as document control, employee training management or site communications.
- Work with the site EHS Team to develop complex written programs required by regulatory authorities and for the EHS Management system at the site.
- Gather data, generate reports (internal and external) and maintain detailed records for regulatory compliance activities and EHS Management System tasks.
- As a member of the EHS functional organization, contribute to business unit, division and Healthcare level EHS initiatives as needed.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS/BA in a related discipline (i.e. Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, etc.)
- Show a passion for EHS
- Travel up to 5%
- Experience with Hazardous Waste operations and working knowledge of RCRA regulations
- General knowledge of EPA and OSHA regulations and EHS standards
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking and ability to recognize potential hazards or compliance issues
- Strong IT skills (Proficient in MS Office, and comfortable with learning new programs)
- Effective writing, speaking, and presentation skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team, including with employees at higher levels of the organization
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 2 to 5 years of experience in EHS
- Experience managing hazardous materials
- Knowledge of State of Delaware EHS laws and regulations
- Experience with laboratory safety
- Experience with EHS in a laboratory or chemical manufacturing setting
- Experience with emergency response