Technical Marketing Engineer
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 233854
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Harleysville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
Siemens Process Industries & Drives helps customers increase productivity, safety, reliability, efficiency and time-to-market for plants and processes with innovative, integrated technology across the entire lifecycle. With a deep understanding of individual market segments, Siemens helps customers respond quickly and confidently to new market requirements and challenges, strengthening their competitiveness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
• The Process Automation Technical Marketing Engineer for the Automation & Engineering Business Segment of the Process Industries and Drives Division will be responsible for go-to-market strategies and lead the demand generation processes. The individual will develop complex primary and secondary research programs designed to uncover market trends, customer needs and competitive advantages.
• The successful candidate will be able to translate market research into actionable marketing programs and collateral including the development of sales tools and execution of digital campaigns leveraging search engine optimization and advertising techniques.
• The technical marketing engineer must be able to work in a matrix organization, coordinating with other groups including marketing communications (Marcom), vertical marketing (especially Chemical, Pharmaceutical and Food & Beverage) as well as sales and channel management.
• The technical marketing engineer will be measured on demand generation metrics, new customer conversions, marketing program execution and business segment growth.
• The position reports to the Marketing Manager - Automation & Engineering
• Utilize primary and secondary research methodologies including customer surveys, interviews and 3rd party databases to identify customer needs and position Siemens solutions
• Drive new customer generation process for process automation business including the development and measurement of key performance indicators (lead quality, opportunity creation, customer conversion)
• Develop marketing collateral for specific applications/industries and train sales personnel on features, customer benefits and market validation
• Identify and position specific product features and benefits from broad portfolio to diverse customer base
• Successfully transition qualified leads to national sales force
• Incorporate digital marketing campaigns
• Work with marketing, sales and channel personnel to maximize program impact
• Participate and coordinate with department marketing programs to expand user base
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical/Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
• 0 to 5 years’ experience in process automation marketing
• Thorough understanding of the distributed control systems market place including market drivers, trends and issues
• This position requires up to 30% travel
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Additional advanced or minor degrees in marketing and business related fields
• A process automation background in designing, commissioning and/or programming
• Specific knowledge of Chemical, Pharmaceutical or Oil and Gas industries
• Fundamental understanding of the Siemens industrial product, solutions and service portfolio
Other marketing related skills:
• Interpersonal communication. Comfortable talking to people within all levels of an organization (Toastmasters), attending events/tradeshows.
• Good writing skills. Capable of developing marketing material for specific technical industry topic (safety, migration, security, virtualization, simulation, networking, digitalization, etc),
• Analytical knowledge. Able to interpret written, visual and verbal communications to become industry recognized expert.
• Creativity and expression. Can you think of a new way of doing things? If so it will also be important to be able to put new concepts over in a way that can be readily understood.
• Influencing and negotiation skills. Not everyone feels comfortable with the art of persuasion, but if you do offer examples of how you have negotiated in the past such as haggling successfully.
• Team playing. Creative and able to demonstrate your ability to knuckle down with colleagues.
• Computer skills. Good working knowledge of MS office programs, (Word, Power Point, Excel) as well as other commonly used apps (video, Visio, graphics).
• Commercial nous. Able to translate your performance into tangible and demonstrable outcomes, and aware of issues and current affairs influencing our industry.
• Ambition to succeed. Your drive will be a key ingredient to getting into marketing which is often a sale’s led environment. Don't make the error of thinking that ambition is not a skill.