Mechanical Specialist Repair Technician
Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 233928
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 95%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable EnergyWith a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Position Summary: This position is responsible for planning, performing, and reporting on drivetrain (gearbox, main shaft, and main bearing, generator bearings, etc) inspections and repairs. This position is also responsible for trouble-shooting support for all components associated with drivetrain (pumps, fans, sensors, etc). 95% travel site-work-related is required. The mechanical specialist will interface with clients and manage small crews on a regular basis.
Position could report & support O&M during periods of down time or travel to support other jobs within the Advanced Maintenance team. Heavy lifts, Major Campaigns and Blades.
- Ability to work in confined / enclosed space and comfortable with heights
- Inspections (borescope) of drivetrain components (main shaft + bearings, gearbox + gears + bearings)
- Gearbox repairs – high speed bearings, high speed shafts, intermediate speed bearings, mechanical pump
- Assist in troubleshooting of drivetrain related issues (pumps, sensors, brakes, cooling unit, filters, etc.)
- Assist in large corrective (crane work) replacement of gearboxes and main shafts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to describe complex damages, participate in preparation of inspection and repair reports, and follow up to final resolution
- Advance knowledge of maintenance and electrical testing equipment for turbines
- Test electrical components and systems, as well as mechanical and hydraulic systems
- Perform maintenance on wind turbine equipment including troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic malfunctions. Replace worn or malfunctioning components.
- Support Advanced Maintenance group with various projects, including large and small correctives on a variety of components
- Identify process improvements; including reduction of non-value added operations, increased productivity opportunities, increased safety opportunities, etc
- Inspect, diagnose, adjust, and repair components in the wind turbine. Inspect the exterior and physical integrity of towers and blades.
- Technician must be able to work within the maximum safety guidelines using personal protection equipment
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, diagnostic tools and equipment
- Must be willing to travel for extended periods of time - up to 95%
- Perform other duties – Safe, team-oriented work habits are essential
Required Education/Work experience:
High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent work
2-4 years related work experience
Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
· Gearbox / Generator Repairs and Inspections
· Familiarity with Gamesa and/or Siemens Mechanical/Electrical turbine operation
· Ability to lead repair team
· Turbine trouble shooting (knowledge in electrical and hydraulic schematic readings)
· Knowledge of mechanical/electrical inspection techniques
· Turbine work and safety practices
· Knowledge of mechanical/electrical repairs
· Document inspection repairs and create reports
· Ability to work from height for inspection or repairs
· Use of borescope and Laser alignment tool - digital camera – set up and operation
· May provide general guidance to others and train lower level employees.
Primary equipment used: Wind turbine tools, Electrical testers, digital camera, Standard office equipment, forklift, Laser alignment and borescope