Senior Blade Design Structures Engineer
Business Unit: Power and Gas
Requisition Number: 234137
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Boulder
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
With a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Wind Turbine Blade Design Structure Engineer (Senior)
Do you feel prepared to design wind turbine blades for Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy and contribute to make real what matters, clean energy for generations to come?
The Boulder R&D Center for Blade Design is composed of a multi-disciplinary group of engineering experts in aerodynamics, acoustics, structures, loads, and controls, who work concurrently to design new blades and develop new technologies. This world-class center offers an open, inspiring, and diverse working environment located at the heart of downtown Boulder, Colorado, an amazing place to work and live.
We are looking for a senior structural design engineer to join our Blade Design Structures team and directly contribute to the development of new products and new blade technologies.
As a Senior Structural Design Engineer, your primary tasks will cover the following:
· Lead the structural composite design of utility-scale wind turbine blades
· Coordinate design tasks within the local structural design team and with global teams in Denmark and Spain.
· Perform multi-objective structural design optimization for function, cost and manufacturability.
· Interface with experts in other engineering disciplines e.g. aerodynamics, acoustics, loads, and controls.
· Interface with technology projects to define new technologies needed to enable larger, lighter and more efficient wind turbine blade.
· Drive the development of computational design tools and methodologies.
· Drive the development of engineering design models at multiple fidelity levels.
Senior Structural Design Engineers are required to possess the following:
· Master’s or PhD degree required.
· Minimum five (5) years of industry experience with design of composite structures.
· Excellent knowledge of composite structures and composite manufacturing methods.
· Programming experience in MATLAB, FORTRAN, C/C++, or similar.
· Computational modeling experience with state-of-the-art FEA/FEM solvers (ANSYS, ABAQUS, or similar).
· Proven ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written reports.
· Proven track record working in teams, preferably within a large international company.
· Strong analytical skills, self-motivation, and emotional intelligence to work and thrive in a collaborative global team environment.
· Willing and able to travel internationally.
Senior Structural Design Engineers are desired to possess the following:
· Prior experience with wind turbine blade design.
· Knowledge of aero-structure elasticity, plate and shell theory, cross sectional analysis of composites beam and general beam theory.
· Knowledge of design optimization methods.
· Reliability engineering and probabilistic design experience.
· Experience authoring scientific papers and technical reports.