UX Designer - Software Engineer - Advanced
Business Unit: Product Lifecycle Management-PLM
Requisition Number: 234232
Primary Location: United States-New York-Melville
Other Locations: United States-New Hampshire-Lebanon, United States-Texas-Houston, United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens Digital Factory offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly-integrated hardware software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide. Siemens PLM Software, a Plano, Texas-based business unit of the Digital Factory Division, is a leading global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) and manufacturing operations management (MOM) software, systems and services with over nine million licensed seats and more than 77,000 customers worldwide.
For more information, please visit:
We are seeking a Software Engineer – Advanced to perform both research and design related to the User Experience of Simcenter STAR-CCM+, a scientific-computing application accurately simulating real-world physics phenomena.
The Software Engineer will identify, study, and analyze user workflows and user intent in order to
improve user workflows.
This position reports to the Manager of the User Experience team in theSoftware Framework division of the Platform department working on the product: SimCenter STAR-CCM+.
• Create design artifacts to facilitate design improvements. Examples include personas, journey maps, and wireframes.
• Create analysis artifacts based on feedback from Sales Engineers, Support Engineers, Product Management personnel and Customer Requests. Examples include user flows and summary graphs.
• Configure analytics tools that track product usage.
• Collaborate with domain experts in engineering disciplines.
• Collaborate closely with software engineers and software architects.
• Collaborate with other usability experts within Siemens.
• Take part in observational customer research.
• Summarize research data, analytics data, and customer requests.
• Some travel expected (approximately 8%) to collaborate with teams and observe usage patterns of customers and internal users.
• Participate in design reviews.
• Communicate project status during regular meetings.
• Write and maintain technical design documents and new-feature documents.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Required education and focus
• This position requires, at minimum, either a Master’s degree in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Information Design, Information Architecture, Cognitive Psychology ,User Experience, or a related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Psychology, or a related field and 2 years progressive post- academic experience specifically in Software Usability.
Required technical experience
• True expertise with a rapid prototyping application such as Axure.
• True expertise with a wire framing / mock-up application such as Balsamiq.
• Expertise with Excel.
• Expert observational skills and understanding of user behaviors.
• Experience working with personas, journey maps, screen flows, sitemaps, and state transition diagrams.
• Experience using a variety of heuristics for problem-solving.
• Deft understanding of quantitative, qualitative, attitudinal, and behavioral data.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, or Expertise
• Experience working on usability for a scientific, engineering product and for non-consumer, commercial products.
• Experience working on usability on both web applications and desktop applications.
• Graphic design expertise.
• Experience with Confluence and Jira.
• Understanding and embracing best practices regarding software development.
• Comfort in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal oversight.