Technical Field Advisor
Business Unit: Distributed Generation and Oil & Gas
Requisition Number: 234325
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 60%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering
excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than
165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously
leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business
opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is
organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services,
Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process
Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and
optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the utility, oil &
gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide – as well as for wind
turbines. Siemens’ extensive national network of service technicians is able
to quickly and comprehensively offer expert service to maximize the
lifecycle of power generation equipment, helping to ensure reliability and
For more information, please visit:
In this Technical Field Advisor (TFA) role the incumbent will be responsible for performing various facets involving the installation, commissioning, and servicing of the company’s nameplate steam turbine and other rotating machinery. The position is the primary source of technical information and services at our customer sites. The TFA serves as the link between our customers and the rest of the company including but not limited to management, sales and technical support. Our TFA’s maintain the highest levels of professionalism and premier service attitude.
This role is expected to demonstrate expertise over most of the company’s steam turbine portfolio not only a narrow segment.
The TFA is technically responsible for all facets of the company’s scope of work during equipment installation and subsequent outages.
Key Responsibilities for the position include:
- Interact with different levels of customer and Siemens organizations to report progress, resolve issues, and identify potential services to be offered based on customer needs.
- Verify that all machinery specifications and procedures are adhered to and detailed records and reports are maintained.
- Interpret engineering drawings and other technical documentation during the course of assigned duties. Be able to take and validate precision measurements on high speed rotating machinery, (alignments, clearances, etc.).
- Maintain the highest level of a zero harm culture in part by following and enforcing all company and customer ESH policies and programs.
- Perform complex troubleshooting as required on machinery and ancillary systems. Ability to articulate findings to engineering to resolve issues.
- Travel for extended periods of time, (up to 60 days) both domestic and international as assigned. Must carry valid passport, be able to pass both required background checks and required drug and alcohol testing. International assignments are likely to include travel to developing countries.
- Able to perform duties on day or night shift under difficult conditions, heat, cold, noise, etc. Able to work weekends and holidays.
- Physical ability to climb ladders work around machinery and evacuate work area in the event of an emergency. Ability to stand for extended periods and walk long distances is required.
- This position does not require residence in a specific location but does require close proximity to commercial airport with reasonable connections.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- A four year engineering degree or qualified by experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of directly related experience.
- Basic understanding of instrumentation and control systems
- Fluent use of standard office software and use of standard portal based systems to report time, expenses, and service reports.
- Possession or ability to possess a TWIC card.
- Ability to complete offshore survival and firefighting course.
- Excellent and professional communication skills both written and oral. This includes the ability to hold difficult discussions with customers to protect company interests.
- Basic commercial knowledge to understand contract deliverables and identify items or work that falls outside these boundaries so additional funding from the customer can be pursued.
- Prior experience with European manufactured machinery.
Must hold valid driver’s license.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Direct experience in a similar role preferably with European engineered / manufactured rotating machinery.
- Previous training / certification on Siemens steam products.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Previous sales / client facing experience.