Commercial Project Manager (Financial)
Business Unit: Logistics and Airport Solutions
Requisition Number: 234486
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Irving
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
Siemens Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics LLC is a provider of logistics industry products and solutions. The business comprises a comprehensive portfolio in mail & parcel logistics and automation, airport logistics with baggage handling and air cargo, as well as service offerings supporting our customers with maintenance, operation and optimization. Our customers are airports & airlines, courier express parcel providers, the US Postal Service and commercial postal service providers.
The goal of the CPM is to provide transparent and consistent cost controlling and reporting which allows the project team to identify potential areas to improve a project’s profitability. Key functions performed by the CPM includes: project planning, budgeting, cost controlling, cash management, and reporting. These tasks are performed in compliance with internal and external guidelines and regulations. The position reports to the Business Segment Controller.
• Project Planning – involves participating in Bid & Proposal activities as well as preparing order intake calculations upon contract award, setting up and maintaining the project work breakdown structure (WBS) and corresponding internal order numbers to ensure proper segregation and tracking of project tasks and associated costs. Typical planning tasks also include preparing and maintaining project budgets for the base project and follow on change orders throughout the life cycle of a project.
• Project Cost Controlling – involves monitoring, analyzing, and reporting current, accurate and complete project cost information during the execution and warranty phase of a project by working cross functionally with internal departments such as Engineering, Operations, Purchasing, Accounting, Program Management, etc. The CPM ensures project financial transactions are in line with internal and external regulations / guidelines, and identifies and documents variances (cost of nonconformance) to budget as well as the prior Estimate-At-Completion (EAC).
• Project Forecasting – involves providing transparent and reliable project financial forecasts for such data as orders, revenue, gross profit, EBIT, billings, payments, etc. These project forecasts are used to help develop an overall Business Segment and company P&L.
• Project Risk & Opportunity Management – involves identifying, evaluating, mitigating, and reporting project related technical and financial risk & opportunities with the goal to manage the overall project profitability. Supports internal risk & opportunity workshops with functions such as Engineering, Purchasing, Program Management, etc. Works collaboratively with the Project Manager on measures to mitigate risks and drive opportunities to be realized.
• Project Cash Management – involves timely and accurate billing of project deliverables; ensures on-time customer payments, and supporting all efforts related to customer claim management in cooperation with our Contracts department.
• Other Responsibilities – involved in month end closes by preparing project cost accruals, ensuring project revenue and profit declarations are properly recognized. Support internal & external project audits as required, and perform project close out activities.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, and KNOWLEDGE
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a finance related field
• 8+ years experience working in a project based business in a controlling or project finance related position
• General knowledge and understanding of project controlling, accounting / finance, contract & subcontract management, manufacturing, service operations, and supply chain management
• Experience working on project teams supporting multiple projects and project managers
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work cross functionally between departments
• Analytical and detailed oriented; ability to systematically work through complex topics
• Exceptional communication, presentation, and customer service skills
• Proactive and results oriented with ability to multi-task and prioritize dynamic work activities
• SAP and SAP Business Warehouse
• MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) – with advanced Excel skills