Assay Development Scientist
Business Unit: Healthineers (HC)
Requisition Number: 234927
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
Siemens Healthcare Laboratory (SHL) and Siemens Molecular Diagnostics headquarters are located in Berkeley, California.
Our vision at SHL is to save lives by rapidly moving new in vitro diagnostic technologies and assays into clinical use. Our mission within SHL R&D is to develop laboratory tests to support a new generation of therapies that will improve patient care in ways never before possible.
In order to achieve these goals, we will fully utilize decades of assay development experience and the unique resources available through our companion diagnostics development organization and global reference laboratory.
Siemens Healthineers Molecular Diagnostics:
· The successful candidate for this Scientist 2 position working within Siemens Clinical Laboratory and Companion Diagnostics R&D will report to a Sr. Scientist or higher in the department.
· This scientist will be responsible for all aspects of assay development including prototyping, optimization, performance verification, and validation of new assays or technologies.
· The work requires documentation and transfer of assays in either the clinical laboratory environment as Laboratory Developed Tests (LDT), or for manufacturing as In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) products.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· This position is for a non-entry level scientist with diagnostics industry and/or clinical laboratory experience. Experience working under design control is expected.
· Key skills include biomarker discovery, assay prototyping, performance optimization, and control system design.
· Knowledge and expertise in immunoassays, proteomics, molecular biology, molecular diagnostics, bioinformatics, and statistical analysis, are relevant.
· Documentation experience in a regulated healthcare environment is important.
· The successful candidate will have clear and understandable written and verbal technical communication.
· B.S. or advanced degree in biology, chemistry, or related discipline is required.
· 2 to 5 years’ industry experience is also required. An advanced degree with post-doctoral work may substitute for a portion of required working experience in the IVD or clinical laboratory industry.
· Approximately 10% travel may be required.