Research & Technology Manager "Architecture and Verification of Intelligent Systems"
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 235133
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 30%
To strengthen our activities, we are seeking a dynamic leader to advance our successful Architecture and Verification of Intelligent Systems team in Princeton, NJ. The team provides pre-development (aka research) services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting to all of Siemens’ businesses.
Complex software-intensive systems are at the core of Siemens’ business. Siemens trains, power plants, factory automation, building automation, power grid control, and others depend on the correct operation of software. Therefore, sustainable software architectures and effective verification methods are essential for the success of our businesses. The software engineering consultants in our team help Siemens business units world-wide to improve their software architectures, making our products even more reliable, performant, scalable and maintainable. We also help business units translate new business ideas into software solutions and successful products. Our research results influence Siemens products and are reflected in patents and publications in journals and conferences. The team also pursuits government funding opportunities, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
The position is critical as the person must continuously develop the group’s capabilities and adjust the portfolio offerings with respect to the needs. As collaboration with academic partners is a key success factor to acquire new technologies, pursue public funding and attract new talents into the organization, we expect the person to develop and maintain focused relationships to the right partners. A team can only be as good as its members and how well they trustfully join forces; consequently, leadership, people development and talent acquisition are very important aspects of the job requirements.
While alignment with internal stakeholders, like global Technology Field leader and local management as well as peer research groups is important, we also expect substantial outside-of-the box thinking to secure Siemens’ innovativeness in the relevant technology areas.
We expect you to show leadership while simultaneously being a supportive teammate with a hands-on approach. You drive the team with your entrepreneurial attitude based on your ambitious, strategic, analytical, creative, reliable, open-minded, and passionate manner. You will be part of a growing team and must have an adaptive mindset, ready and willing to take on new and bigger challenges daily.
What will be my responsibilities?
· Manage, coach and develop about 13 researchers: Disciplinary and technical leadership/coaching of Research Group staff; driving Performance Management Process e.g. target setting, evaluation and competency development for Project Managers and project staff.
· Define and manage execution of the Research Group’s business strategy including growth areas and business plans in alignment with Siemens Company Core Technologies (CCTs)
· Assignment of staff and required competencies to projects (capacity planning) aligned with TF Head.
· Contribute to the Technology Field´s strategy and roadmap; align globally to ensure implementation and execution.
· Coordination of the Research Group projects and Project Managers. Ensuring knowledge transfer across projects.
· Management of projects as Project Manager.
· Build Siemens-internal network to acquire projects that convert research results into business impact; maintain relationships to the business units within Siemens;
· Develop and maintain relationships with key universities and institutes to expand technology portfolio and jointly pursue public funding opportunities.
· Closely interact with Principals, R&D heads and Technology Field heads.
· Assist developing brand recognition externally by networking with industry experts, attending conferences and partnering with universities.
· Collaborate with the other CT Research Groups to build larger products and integrate into comprehensive solutions
· Participate and lead projects with Siemens businesses, including research & development as well as technical consulting
· Collaborate with experts and peers to secure government grants in relevant domains.
What do I need to qualify for this position?
· 8+ years of experience as researcher and engineer in the areas of software architecture and software testing with a proven track record in academia, industry or government
· 5+ years of supervisory experience or program/project management engagement leading teams in an R&D environment required
· Up-to-date technical knowledge in multiple areas of software engineering.
· Established networks within US academia/research institutions.
· Highly motivated and driven business leader with a can-do attitude
· Excellent interpersonal and English language communication skills (written & verbal.) Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects. Proficiency in German is a plus.
· Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic and international team with a strong customer service orientation
· Willingness to travel 30% (domestic/international)
· Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on