Transformer Tech 2
Business Unit: Customer Services
Requisition Number: 235402
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Wendell
Other Locations: United States--
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 80%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
Field Service Technician 2, (“Tech 2”), is responsible for the environmentally safe performance of field service projects, with direct supervision. Execute technical field assignments involving the assembly, installation, modification, test, inspection, service and/or repair of distribution and power transformers. May recommend measures to improve field service operations and customer service. May be assigned other work, individually, or as part of a larger electrical substation / power plant project.
Reports directly to Regional Service Manager (“RSM”) and performs work under the supervisory direction of the Crew Leader. Effective communication with both, RSM and Crew Leader, is required throughout active projects and when awaiting assignment and/or stand-by time. .
Often requires extensive travel and non-standard schedules at field locations with exposure to varying environmental conditions
Duties / Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform semi- complex transformer field service operations that require above average technical skills.
- Troubleshoot and repair transformer equipment, applying own knowledge and experience to resolve problems. Recommend changes or modified procedures to improve performance and customer satisfaction.
- Communicate clearly and professionally, (written and/or verbal), regarding project scope, safety reviews (i.e. tailgate meetings), security or environmental incidents, safety violations or near misses.
- Guide less experienced technicians, instructing them in proper & safe operation of equipment.
- Assist Crew Leader with field service team project set-up, resource requirements; including own lodging, travel and other transportation,
- Responsible for completing time & expense and field service job reports, using on-line/administrative tools or software.
- Maintain safe operating condition of vehicles, tools and equipment, including conducting detailed inventories and inspections to determine maintenance and repairs. Perform repairs and maintenance on daily/ weekly /monthly or annual basis, per maintenance schedule, or as assigned.
- Follow and/or enforce Siemens Environmental Health & Safety policies
- Perform duties in accordance with customer, industry and corporate laws, regulations and standards
- Perform additional duties as assigned by RSM and/or Crew Leader
Technical Skills and Tools
- Entry level supervisory skills required to coordinate work priorities of less senior assigned field personnel, (crew members and subcontractors) in addition to promoting a healthy, safe and environment-friendly workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities.
- Requires ability to select most effective approaches and adapt standard practices and procedures to resolve semi-complex technical problems.
- Use electro-mechanical skills in the safe and correct assembly, maintenance of power and distribution transformers and transformer accessories. Ability to interpret the scope of work, assembly, maintenance and service instruction.
- Perform the correct operation of transformer oil processing, including vacuum, oil filling, circulating and draining oil-filled transformers. Complete documentation of the process under the direct supervision and instruction of Crew Leader or senior crew members.
- Provide support to Field Test Experts and Test Crews with industry standard testing of power and distribution transformers and transformer accessories.
- Must have good commercial and industrial electrical wiring and troubleshooting skills
- Basic competency with PC skills, including email, internet, data entry into on-line tools, MS Word and Windows based software
- Maintaining Class A CDL requirements as described in contract section 9.09 article c) qualifies for a yearly bonus.
- High School diploma, GED or technical vocational or apprenticeship training, combined with prior field service or equivalent related experience
- Must have a minimum of 18 months experience in technical assembly, maintenance and repair of power and distribution transformers / transformer accessories in utility/energy electrical industry
- Very good level skill in one or more of: Distribution, Power and Transmission electrical substation equipment in power ranges of Low Voltage (4160V – 13kV), Medium Voltage (13kV – 69kV) or High Voltage (69kV – 800 kV
- Requires good communications skills and ability to follow verbal/written instruction.
- Good time management skills
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude
- EH&S/OSHA training required / will be provided
- Must perform proficiently at other less senior technical level (i.e. Tech Asst)