Business Unit: Digital Grid Solutions & Services
Requisition Number: 235419
Primary Location: United States-New York-Schenectady
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele. For more information, please visit: https://www.siemens.com/us/en/home/company/about/businesses/energy_ management.html
As an Advanced Power Systems Software Engineer with Siemens Power Technologies International (PTI), part of the Energy Grid Simulation business, the candidate will join the PTI software development team and be responsible for maintaining and developing new analysis and modeling components of the PTI PSS® software platform relating to power system analysis. Combining your domain knowledge of power systems modeling with your skill as a software engineer to write the code for power system modeling, you will work along with other team members to enhance our industry leading power system simulation software and create the next generation contingency engine to meet the fast evolving needs of our users.
• Writing the computer code for algorithms which simulate the steady state behavior of power system components.
• Maintaining and developing components of the PTI PSS® software platform under the direction of the development manager or fellow expert engineers, with a focus on contingency and remedial action scheme modeling.• Working with the PTI software development team on designing, developing, testing and documenting the software.
• Creating robust tests for the QA team to assess performance, correctness and usability of the software.
• Providing estimations and analysis of tasks required for development, and actively participate in product status reviews.
• Staying abreast of any and all new developments in the area of power system analysis, modeling and optimization with particular focus on contingency analysis and the FERC mandated TPL.
Required Knowledge/Skills and Experience:
• 10+ years of experience developing commercial software
• Knowledge of current power system analysis methodologies and the ability to research, investigate, and apply new and complex modeling and analysis techniques
• Knowledge of power system modeling, power flow solutions and contingency analysis
• Experience developing in C/C++ or Fortran, preferably in the MS Visual Studio environment
• Proficiency in the modeling of power system components, especially for load flow simulations
• Prior experience working in the area of contingency analysis is a plus
• Working knowledge of PSS®E or other power system analysis tools, particularly on larger real-world networks as it applies to transmission planning analysis, is a plus
• Excellent communication and presentation skills - written and verbal.
• Strong organization skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks at one time.
• Team player, customer focused with good interpersonal skills, positive and energetic attitude.
• Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
• PHD required for this position, degree in Engineering, Software or Computer Science preferred.
• A mixture of both is best as this position is a mixture of power systems engineering and software engineering.