Entry Level Software Engineer
Business Unit: Region Americas
Requisition Number: 235473
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Florham Park
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit:
Are you ready to be part of a team of highly motivated and talented building technology engineers, designing, developing, implementing and maintaining fire safety industry products and applications that will help to efficiently operate buildings, reduce energy consumption and provide information to proactively service building equipment.
Working in the city as an entry level Software Engineer at Siemens Building Technologies, you will collaborate on our various fire safety product lines and participate within interdisciplinary teams and with our global partners.
Within our dynamic office environment, you will bring your productive attitude and contribute to the enhancement and creation of products and applications for the commercial fire safety market.
In this role, you will
· Support standard design, maintenance, enhancement, testing implementation, of our leading-edge software.
· Provides support with the development of software test requirements for standard modules under development, may execute standard test specifications.
· Advise in providing estimates for standard modules under development and may estimate own work.
· Provide support in reviewing standard customers' standards specification and other documentation to determine software engineering requirements.
· Assist in developing cutting edge commercial fire protection equipment requiring a vast breadth of knowledge the can assist to deliver solutions from concept to deployment
· Assist in embedded application architecture design and development
· Bachelor's degree in a system, electrical or software engineering discipline or computer science from an accredited institution
· Minimum 0-2+ years of intern or work experience working in a related field
· Strong experience in one or more programming languages (e.g., Java, C++, C#)
· Understanding and skills in software design and code, including Object Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD)
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Operating Systems (e.g., UNIX/Linux and/or Windows and .Net, Android)
· Development Methodologies (e.g., Waterfall, Agile, and or Iterative)
· Architecture (e.g., Web Services and/or SOA)
· Development languages (e.g., Objective C, Android SDK, C++, Java/J2EE, and/or C#)
· Database tools and design (e.g., Accumulo/HDFS, Oracle, Postgres, SQL, MongoDB, AllegreGraph, NoSQL, RDF, and/or SPARQL
· Development tools and services (e.g., MS Visual Studio, Eclipse, jBuilder, Spring Framework, jBoss, Hibernate, Apache, Tomcat, Maven, and/or automated test tools)
· User Interface development tools
· Network Protocols (TCP, UDP, Multicast, RS-485)
· Configuration Management tools (e.g., ClearCase, Subversion, and/or Git)
· Algorithm development
· Basic understanding of Software Security
· Open Source, cloud and virtualization software and services
· Familiarity with current Web UI frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Angular, and/or Ember
· Familiarity with/exposure to FishEye, Jenkins (building continuous integration jobs), Nexus, W3c standards, Ontology development, Open Linked data
Preferred Qualifications should help determine your readiness for this position as well as demonstrate the vast potential exposure to technology that you will receive. Expectation is that a strong applicant will contain a subset of the skills listed in this section.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States.
Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.