Graduate Intern - Automatic control and optimization for smart grids
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 235661
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Summer Internship: Automatic Control and Optimization for Smart Grids
Are you interested in driving the revolution from automated to autonomous systems in real industrial applications?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group Autonomous Systems located in Princeton, NJ, for a summer internship starting in May and investigate new control and optimization building blocks for power systems and smart grid applications. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research.
What are my responsibilities?
· You will contribute to industrial research projects on control and optimization for power systems and smart grid
· You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of control and optimization
· You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes and hardware.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A current MS or PhD student pursuing a degree in Engineering
- Profound knowledge of advanced automatic control (optimal, robust, and model-predictive control) and/or optimization concepts
- Experience in advanced algorithm prototyping
- Good programming knowledge in MATLAB, Simulink and C++, e.g. writing reusable code
- Practical experience in research on control and optimization
- Laboratory experience in electrical testbeds and embedded systems preferred
- Domain knowledge in power systems preferred
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills in English
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on