Business Unit: Region Americas
Requisition Number: 235753
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Florham Park
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 10%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit:
As a Technical Writer - Editor at Siemens Building Technologies, you will write, edit and maintain technical documentation, primarily focused on fire product data sheets. The technical writer functions as a primary writer responsible for deliverables of limited scope, and will manage, with supervision, the complete documentation cycle for a small number of documentation projects.
- Researches, under supervision, content for creating new and updating existing documents
- Participates, under supervision, in user analysis, interviewing subject matter experts, working with product prototypes, and reading technical specifications.
- Organizes content into a logical flow and tailors language to target audience. Writes and edits according to established standards. Adheres to design principles and methodologies for technical writing.
- Participates in documentation reviews and usability testing.
- Manages document change requests with support from subject matter experts.
- Prepares and submits, under supervision, files for production and archiving.
- Participates in efforts to improve the discipline.
- Understands and complies with enterprise processes.
- Displays basic knowledge in a wide range of software authoring, estimating, and publishing tools.
- Pursues new technologies, industry or product specific training. Shares knowledge with the technical communications discipline (internal and external).
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Preferably a degree in technical communications, English or related fields or a Technical Communications certificate from an accredited institution.
- Proficient user in the Microsoft Office products.
- Basic knowledge with content management systems.
- Some knowledge of authoring languages, such as XML, HTML, HTML5, etc.
- Interest and preferably background with industrial software and products.
- Basic technical understanding and problem-solving skills.
- Works under supervision, and functions well in a team environment.
- Typically 1-3 years of experience in performing writing, editing and research functions to prepare technical documentation or equivalent position
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.