Senior Software Engineer - R&D Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 235841
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Munhall
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process
Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional
passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
The Senior Software Engineer aims at growing competitiveness of Siemens’ products by building balanced systems and software systems. You will lead, guide, coach and motivate the team to enable, support and carry out an appropriate implementation, quality assurance, test, maintenance and evolution of the software designed, even in the face of meaningful, changing and evolving business cases, requirements, realization technologies and other efforts (e.g., strategic changes approaching the project).
In this role, you will ensure that the design satisfies all partner requirements, allocates the various requirements to specific subsystem/components, ensure compliance with high-level decisions and monitors implementation to reduce architectural drift. You will have an overall understanding of the business and ensure that design decisions made with regards to the product align with the overall business goals.
This Role will include the following responsibilities:
- Provides technical leadership to the team, collaborators and customers with respect to state-of-the-art software and system architecture methods, tools and trends.
- Performs Software reviews and assessments
- Ensures the implemented product adheres to the architecture and decisions made around the architecture
- Is responsible for the non-functional aspects of the product, ensuring it meets all requirements
- Know of each phase of the lifecycle and be able to successfully lead and coach team members during each phase
- Guides complex design, maintenance, improvement, testing, implementation, and support of software.
- Guides the development of software test requirements for modules under development, executes test specifications.
- Develops estimates for very complex modules under development and estimates own work.
- Guides reviews of very complex customers' standards specification and other documentation to determine software engineering requirements.
- Develops presentations of technical findings and developments.
- Guides the software quality process through the execution of module, subsystem and system test procedures.
- Applies advanced skills to resolve problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently.
- Displays a high level of critical thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or multi-functional problems.
- Demonstrates and applies comprehensive knowledge of software engineering to the successful completion of complex assignments.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Electrical or Software) or Computer Science.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of software engineering.
- Demonstrates significant knowledge of organization's business practices and issues faced and contributes to problem resolution of those issues.
- You will have 10+ years of successful experience in a directly related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above.
- Validated capability to improve SW development/ to support the setup of new development teams
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Advanced Degree preferred, Masters, PhD, or MBA. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience.
- Confirmed capability to mentor SW development and the use of development tools sets
- Very experienced with C/C++/ Java and various operating systems
- Technical knowledge signaling, operations concepts in rail industry, rail products
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with Embedded Control Systems design & development
- Experience with Safety critical/Vital systems
- Quality assurance, testing, test automation, verification, validation
- Requirements engineering
- System/ Software architecture
- Standards, process and methods for safety critical hardware
In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
-A competitive base salary
-Excellent health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, tuition reimbursement, & 18 days of PTO to start
-Extensive training along with career development
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.