Software Developer - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 235904
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process
Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional
passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
Siemens Rail Automation
"Are you ready to join the train control system of the future?"
America’s railroad business is changing. The overall demand for more flexibility, shorter transportation times and increased safety calls for creative system solutions to keep your trains at speed. With more than six decades of train control experience, Siemens offers tailored solutions for a complete production chain.
We are looking for dedicated software engineers to help bring our knowledge and vision together.
In this role, you would be a part of a software development team dedicated to crafting a high-quality product to improve rail safety. Responsibilities within the software development process include:
- Software design
- Software implementation
- Software improvement and refactoring
- Software maintenance
- Software unit and integration testing
Performance is based on quality and quantity of software, attention to detail, and the ability to work within a team.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- 5-8 years of software development experience
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages, preferably C++/C
- Object Oriented programming experience
- Experience with software design and documentation
- Strong knowledge of debugging practices
- UML experience
- Strong attention to detail, an ability to multitask, and an ability to work independently and on a team
Knowledge and Experience:
Demonstrates and applies a broad knowledge of field of specialization through successful completion of moderately complex assignments. Successfully applies complex knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular area of specialization. Demonstrates knowledge of organization's business practices and issues. Typically, 5-8 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience with PTC or other safety systems preferred but not necessary
- Experience with other languages a plus: Python, Perl, Java, C#
- Experience with Linux preferred
- Experience with development of embedded systems a plus
- Experience with GUI development, Qt preferable
- Experience with ClearCase or other SCM software
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Able to communicate expertly with a broad cross section of technical and non-technical colleagues
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.