Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 236014
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable EnergyWith a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
As a key member of the Site Operation Support Americas team within Wind Technology Support, the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for coordination of technical case management within Americas Support team, skills /capabilities development, process definition, and internal department communication, in addition to individual contribution to technical cases.
- Provide Engineering support for OPS activities, to include:
· Electrical components lead (power units, generators, motors, cables, electrical cabinets, controllers, grounding, lightning, etc.)
· Support technical customer discussions (including electrical grid requirements, electrical test requirements, wind farm electrical design, etc.)
· Provide Technical Coordination for assigned primary key customers. Coordinate technical discussions for remaining customers.
· Prepare and assist to customer meetings (face to face or conference call, video) when requested and agreed to lead on priority topics.
· Provide project plans; includes project schedules, specifications, work instructions, job hazard analysis, etc.
- Provide Engineering support for Supply Chain activities for vendor qualification/evaluation as well as technical response for material solution and dispositions.
- Coordinate with other regional engineers in order to share customer experience and issues (common issues, customer communications).
- Use excellent written and verbal communication skills to describe complex faults, participate in preparation of reports, and follow up to final resolution.
- Escalate, through the Support process and standard tools, customer issues that require resolution.
- Show professionalism, respect, and understanding when supporting wind technicians.
- Provide remote support and leadership to on-site implementation project managers, and identifies required training for technicians related to special projects.
- Document standardized business procedures and systems to support the operations; includes design reviews, product change management, unit configuration records, etc.
- Identify process improvements; including reduction of non-value added operations, increased productivity opportunities, increased safety opportunities, etc.
- Communicate with external and internal customers on project status and updates throughout all stages of project.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or related field of study mandatory. A sound understanding of and skill in several activities which involve a variety of practices and precedents, OR a basic understanding of the theory and principles in a scientific or similar discipline.
- Strong understanding or experience with FMEA of electrical heavy machinery.
- Strong understanding of electrical power system operation and performance in steady state and fault conditions required.
- Must be familiar with 3-phase power converters and power units, power electronics cabling, etc.
- Schematics for control and power distribution systems, Single line diagrams
- Electrical codes/standards for Wind Power Plants (IEC, IEEE, NEMA, NERC, FERC, WECC, ERCOT, UL, FAA, etc.)
- Customer management.
- Accomplished in implementing practical procedures or systems which are moderately complex, and/or specialized skills which require some technical knowledge to apply.
- May provide expert advice, training, and technical assistance to support staff and train lower level employees.
- High communication and presentation proficiency.
- Comfortable in working within multi-cultural and multi-national team.
- Highly energetic, self-driven, and task oriented Core Competency.
- Will be required to participate on local/regional/national/international working groups in this area of specialty.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Power system controls, Motors and Motor Protection.
- Instrumentation, relaying/metering, CT/PT, HV/MV/LV circuit breakers, Medium voltage switchgear.
- Solid understanding of major wind turbine components and functions.
- Extensive training and experience (>5 years) in the service, maintenance, repair and solution development of rotating electric machines.
- Wind turbine technical competency, operations management in the wind power service industry, or project management certification (PMP, CAPM, PM@Siemens or other) is an asset.
Primary working conditions are an office environment. Travel to wind power site locations is required, which may include climbing wind turbines, working outdoors in cold or hot weather, and strenuous physical effort. International travel may be required. Total travel requirement expected to be approximately 20%.
Primarily internal contacts within Siemens Gamesa Region Americas and global counterparts.
Direction of Others
Provide specialized guidance or train support and/or professional staff. Leadership qualities and role model qualities demonstrated.
Key Working Relationships
Primarily intra-organizational contacts and external contacts.