Offshore Wind Service Technician
Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 236247
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Virginia Beach
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 50%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable EnergyWith a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Position Location/Travel Requirements: This role will require the technician to relocate from May 2019 to March 2020 to the UK. The 1st 6 months the technician will work in the Offshore travel technician pool and the remainder of the time they will either be located on an SOV or at an Onshore Service base facility in the UK working alongside the different offshore support roles. In April 2020, the technician be located in Orlando for 1 month and prior to May 1st will relocate to Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Position Summary: The position performs planned and unplanned maintenance including troubleshooting, high voltage switching and replacement of parts if necessary in a safe and professional manner on Wind Turbines. Performs required inspections of equipment installed on the transition piece as well as at the onshore substation. Detailed records and parts used must be completed for all work performed. Technicians will report to remote site management and communicate needs and or safety issues that arise. Perform first class work on preventive maintenances to be completed on time and right the first time while minimizing energy loss.
In addition to the above-mentioned roles, this position will support the development of our offshore pipeline of projects with various ad hoc tasks such as developing awareness material and/or processes to ensure our organization is ready for upcoming offshore projects.
Candidates applying for this position should have an ambition to progress to Senior Technician or Site Manager level.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Lead and oversee a team in performing the scheduled maintenance tasks of the Siemens Gamesa Wind Turbine to minimize the amount of energy lost while performing those scheduled tasks.
· Lead and oversee a team in performing the scheduled maintenance tasks of the foundations (transition pieces) and certain tasks at the Onshore substation.
· Maintain efficient timescales for delivery of associated service activities and assist in the creation of daily, weekly plans for the site teams to ensure working patterns and hours do not lead to excessive working hours.
· Execute the unscheduled maintenance at the site and ensure turbine visits are performed in a safe, efficient and timely manner.
· Identify the correct spare parts, tooling and consumables to ensure a high first-time fix rate
· Perform remote monitoring and diagnosis of WTG errors during no sail days to maximize generation and maintain asset integrity.
· Ensure accurate reporting into and utilization of MORS database and other associated electronic workflow systems.
· Responsible for preparation and execution of work packages / tasks in compliance with customer, contractual and SGRE, inclusive of the development of the associated safety and quality documentation.
· Responsible for technician competency development in line with PRO 20643 and mentoring Siemens Gamesa technicians to support achieving D8 Appointed Person status.
· Display active safety leadership when in the turbine and at the site – ensuring compliance to site rules and regulations, correct reporting of incidents, near misses and unsafe acts and conditions. Escalate issues as needed and ensure compliance with SGRE standards and US legislation in relation to EHS, Quality and Service delivery and develop and deliver technical and safety briefings.
· Perform ad hoc Senior Technician / Site Manager supervisory responsibilities as part of continued development
· Control and technical verification of electronic versions of technician’s work orders, timesheet and documentation.
· Ad hoc provision of data in support of the monthly reporting process in conjunction with the Site Manager.
· Onsite support for customer operational issues and site visits.
· Supervise 3rd party technicians, contractors and sub-contractors and facilitate planning and execution of 3rd party work.
· Must be a trained to troubleshooter level on a Siemens Gamesa platform and have a minimum of 1-year experience.
· Candidates applying for these roles should have an ambition to progress to Senior Technician or Site Manager level and demonstrate competencies and capabilities to supervise and manage the execution of multiple work scopes while maintaining good customer relations.
· Experience with SGRE remote diagnosis applications such as SFGUI and application platforms
· Candidates should have demonstrable evidence of driving continuous improvements that will drive efficiencies into daily operations.
· Please note that this role may also require shift working as per business needs. Further details will be finalized for the shift pattern closer to when the site becomes operational.
· This position is contingent upon the candidate being under the weight restriction of 265 lbs. and passing both medical assessment and a fitness for duty / physical capability assessment.
· The candidate must pass a medical assessment conducted by an approved physician or clinician based upon the Oil and Gas UK (OGUK) medical standard.
· For the fitness for duty / physical capability assessment, the candidate must achieve a “Good” or higher rating on the Chester step test adjusted for age and gender. The Chester test measures how much energy the body produces at a given heart rate
· Failure to maintain weight, medical and physical fitness could lead to termination as testing is required every two years and this position is required to work offshore.
· Must have clean driving record and pass pre-hire drug screening
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Certification from a Renewable Energy or Wind Technical Program
· Hands on work experience as a Field Service Technician at a Wind Power site and high voltage or Balance of Plant Work experience.
· Relevant work experience e.g. electrical, mechanical, hydraulic maintenance/troubleshooting in a military, industrial or automotive setting. Composite inspection and/or repair experience desire.