UL Requirements Engineer
Business Unit: Low Voltage & Products
Requisition Number: 236486
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Norcross
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you!
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles and digital factory technology to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Siemens Industry is looking for a Standards Engineer for their Norcross, Georgia location. In this role you will need to work with the product development team for residential electrical products and with listing agencies (UL, CSA, utility requirements). This role is responsible for writing the UL procedure product description, develops and coordinates test plans, and executes projects with UL. This role will investigate product requirements and determine their suitability to meeting required standards.
This role will report to the Product Development Engineering Manager for residential electrical products and function as an individual contributor.
• Write UL procedure product description based on engineering CAD files and drawings.
• Evaluate designs and work with product development team to ensure products meet the construction and performance requirements of our industry standards including UL Standards, the National Electrical Code, ANSI Standards, Canadian Standards Association, NEMA Standards, and utility requirements).
• Develop test plans with product development engineers. Evaluate test reports for completeness and accuracy.
• Coordinate projects with UL (and other agencies as required), including all required testing at internal and external labs.
• Understand customer requirements and apply knowledge of standards to ensure requirements are met for new and existing products.
• Read drawings and CAD files to collaborate with the Design Engineers to ensure design intent meets requirements.
• Support multiple manufacturing plants with standards issues, including support to resolve variation notices.
• Support marketing as needed with product support related to standards.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• BS Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree.
• 10+ years of experience in Electrical Power Products industry.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially technical documentation for UL procedure files.
• Experience with electrical products and circuit protection equipment preferred (circuit breakers, panelboards, switchboards, loadcenters, meter sockets). Experience specifically with residential electrical products preferred (loadcenters, meter sockets, meter combos, multi-family metering, circuit breakers).
• Experience working with electrical codes and standards preferred, including UL Standards, the National Electrical Code, ANSI Standards, NEMA Standards, and utility requirements.
• Knowledge of CAD tools is required. Familiarity with Pro-E Creo will be nice to have.
• Working knowledge of manufacturing systems including routings, bill of materials, sheet metal punching and stamping, plastic molding, painting, plating, and assembly.
• Proficient with MS-Office applications.
• Detail oriented, analytical thinker combined with strong organizational skills.
• Team oriented personality who is willing to support multiple projects simultaneously from multiple product development engineers.
• Proactive at executing daily tasks and achieving long-term goals.
• Passionate commitment to the company vision.
• Minimal travel required, 5-10%.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.