Commissioning Engineer - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 236548
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
Performs system test and commission complex Train Control System. As a Commissioning Engineer you will be responsible for developing various commissioning documents. You will also conduct field commissioning activities such as lead and witness functional performance testing and construction inspections. A successful individual should be very familiar with the commissioning process and various mechanical, electrical and controls systems.
· Develop commissioning documents that include commissioning approaches, commissioning plans, functional performance test plans and commissioning reports
· Completes complex planning of detailed testing and commissioning field activities for Positive Train Control (PTC) and/or Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) systems.
· Attend and participate in project and constructions team meetings
· Lead and attend functional performance tests in field.
· Write and assemble commissioning reports
· Identify and report all System or project issues, diligently following up on these issues with the System Engineering team until the issue is resolved
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· BS/BA in engineering, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification may be required in some areas.
· Has an in-depth knowledge of Positive Train Control (PTC) and Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) systems.
· Has experience in developing and Validating Train Control software.
· Typically 4-8 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above.
· Demonstrated experience writing technical and commissioning reports and documents
· Very knowledgeable of the Commissioning process with the ability to easily comprehend the projects scope and organize the commissioning activities per the commissioning process
· Excellent technical writing and communication skills with the ability to translate and speak to technical document to all levels involved in the project, both internally and externally.
· Excellent leadership capabilities with the ability to lead a team (commissioning), without using much authority, and encourage and guide team members in the right direction for the project
· Ability to take ownership in the process, while working with others to meet the projects goals and assure the project’s success.
· Strong collaboration skills with the ability to work cross functionally with other groups within the Siemens organizations and project partners to achieve the projects goals successfully.
· The ability to manage conflict, by working with all parties to find successful solutions to issues that may arise throughout the process and is able to facilitate alternatives to find the best resolution to the issue at hand.
· Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.