Engineering Specialist 1
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 236656
Primary Location: United States-Nevada-Las Vegas
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 20%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit: https://www.siemens.com/us/en/home/company/about/businesses/building-technologies.html
Siemens is seeking a Solutions Engineering Specialist I to support the Building Automation Team. This position provides advanced expertise and knowledge throughout the system and project lifecycle. Utilizing new and existing tools, standards and procedures, the Engineering Specialist provides estimating, designing, tracking, start-up, and commissioning along a wide range of project types. The specialist acts as a technical resource to the Branch team and customer as needed.
- Attends pre-booking meetings to gain knowledge of the sales estimate and project scope.
- Analyzes plans, specifications, and contract to determine system requirements.
- Selects products, sizes, types, and location placement to ensure products meet specification requirements.
- Designs primarily small service building automation systems consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials, sequence of operations, valve and damper schedules, and Direct Digital Control panel layouts to meet the intent of project plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Designs primarily small project building automation network architecture to support operator workstations, DDC field panels, and third party integration devices connected through LON, Ethernet, Siemens P2 or BACNET.
- Creates automation system database and job-related programming for computer-based building control systems.
- Establishes special calibration instructions on selected equipment.
- Oversees the creation of system graphics.
- Troubleshoots possible issues including identifying and debugging software, electrical, or pneumatic installation problems.
- Organizes and maintains the job folder and updates pertinent job related information. Prepares engineering re-estimate reports.
- Provides on-site assistance with or performs the programming, start-up, checkout, commissioning and validation processes.
- Participates in job site final walk-through on assigned jobs, completes all job closeout documentation and provides customer training.
- Acts as a technical resource to existing customers and field employees as needed. Coordinates work with subcontractors.
- Provides engineering services listed above for larger and/or more complex projects with some deviation from standard practices if required.
- Must be able to perform all tasks with minimal supervision or coaching.
- May be responsible for training and providing guidance to engineering assistants and other specialists.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Required education: High school diploma, state-recognized GED, or state recognized high school proficiency exam.
- Required experience: Two years of experience in the installation and maintenance of building automation products.
- Required travel: 20%
- Other requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- General knowledge of AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook software programs.
- Ability to work in the U.S. without a need for current or future sponsorship.
- Understands process of construction projects and the requirements to document all changes or deviations to specifications.
- Strong knowledge of engineering fundamentals, HVAC concepts, business operations, and job financial reports.
- Ability to read and understand design and construction documents.
- Ability to work in a variety of circumstances including climbing ladders, scaffolds and high-lift equipment as well as working in ducts, crawl spaces, and above ceilings.
- Must be able to differentiate types/colors of wire.
- Must be able to use hand-tools.
- Must be able to carry and move equipment and tools weighing up to 75 pounds unassisted.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s license in good standing.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to participate in the required Siemens vehicle plan.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience”
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
- Degree or Certificate in Building Automation Technologies
- Degree or Certificate in HVAC Technologies