Distributed Control System (DCS) Automation Engineer
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 237247
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens Process Industries & Drives helps customers increase productivity, safety, reliability, efficiency and time-to-market for plants and processes with innovative, integrated technology across the entire lifecycle. With a deep understanding of individual market segments, Siemens helps customers respond quickly and confidently to new market requirements and challenges, strengthening their competitiveness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
Siemens Digital Industries (DI) is an innovation leader in automation and digitalization. Closely collaborating with partners and customers, DI drives the digital transformation in the process and discrete industries. With its Digital Enterprise portfolio, DI provides companies of all sizes with an end-to-end set of products, solutions and services to integrate and digitalize the entire value chain. Optimized for the specific needs of each industry, DI’s unique portfolio supports customers to achieve greater productivity and flexibility. DI is constantly adding innovations to its portfolio to integrate cutting-edge future technologies. Siemens Digital Industries has its global headquarters in Nuremberg, Germany, and has around 75,000 employees internationally.
The DCS Automation Engineer is responsible for the implementation of complex Distributed Control System (DCS) solutions that integrate process automation hardware and software for customers in the chemical, food/beverage, and pharmaceutical industries.
Reports to the Solutions Engineering Manager within the Automation & Engineering (AE) Business Unit
Works in close cooperation with project managers and technical contacts of the customer to apply fundamental engineering concepts, practices and procedures to complete assigned tasks within quality and budget requirements
Participates in complex technical clarifications and knowledge transfers along the project phases
Develops recommendations for productivity improvement, cost reduction and improvement of customer satisfaction
*The position is located in Houston, TX reporting directly to the hiring manager.
• Contributes to the success of Automation Projects by executing engineering tasks within budget, schedule, and quality requirements
• Develops complex DCS applications, based on customer requirements, using the PCS 7 engineering environment as well as bulk engineering, and design tools for automation projects including greenfield applications, legacy control system modernizations, and system expansions
• Identifies, and documents requirements using P&IDs, process descriptions and or existing logic
• Creates test specifications, simulations, and performs software/hardware tests demonstrating compliance with customer requirements
• Leads system installation, and commissioning activities on site
• Maintains a high level of standardization within the design, and execution of applications
• Applies advanced skills to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently
• Identifies areas of risk and takes appropriate steps to mitigate in difficult or complex situations
• Strong commitment to the team, and takes ownership of the success of projects
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• BS in an engineering discipline (or advanced degree)
• 3-5 years of experience of hands on proficiency in the field of Industrial Automation
• Advanced DCS programming experience / Hands on working experience
• Ability to adapt and apply new technology, and innovate engineering procedures
• Demonstrates and applies advanced knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures in the field of Process Automation towards the successful completion of complex assignments
• Displays a high level of analytical thinking, and brings successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-functional problems
• Travel requirements will be a function of assigned projects and will likely range from periods of light travel (10%) to periods of higher travel (50%).
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
• Siemens PCS 7 programing experience
• Preferred education BSEE, BSME or BSCE
• Exposure to validation requirements specific to the pharmaceutical industry
• Other DCS or software programing experience