Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 237264
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 20%
For more information, please visit:
The responsibilities of this IP attorney include strategically advising the business leadership in all IP related Issues and will involve leading a team of IP attorneys with cross functional tasks in a manner that promotes trust, teamwork and inspires confidence. The candidate will be responsible for developing and driving the IP strategy for the Laboratory Diagnostics, Point of Care and Molecular business of Siemens Healthineers. The candidate will interact directly with business leadership and report to the Head of Intellectual Property. This role requires excellent collaboration skills and the ability to coordinate with stakeholders in the business at all levels of the organization, with attorneys of the IP department and legal department, and external counsel. The candidate will be viewed as a business partner and will be expected to contribute to the success of the business by actively driving IP processes and strategies and providing practical IP legal advice to meet the objectives of the business. The qualified candidate will have a strong drive for results.
Essential Job Functions:
· As integral part of the business advise on and drive business decisions with regard to IP aspects together with the business’ leadership, R&D organization, business development, strategy and legal department.
· Lead and further develop a team of IP attorneys with cross functional tasks
· Develop and drive the implementation of an IP strategy for the Laboratory Diagnostics, Point of Care and Molecular business of Siemens Healthineers
· Drive collaboration of the IP and legal department, manage and coordinate IP work with in-house attorneys and external counsels, as well as stakeholders in the business at all levels of the organization
· Pro-actively work to safeguard protection of intellectual property rights
· Manage complex IP litigations and coordinate with all relevant stakeholders in the business organization, investigate and render legal advice in connection with third-party IP claims
· Drive the implementation of an IP protection strategy together with relevant partners in the business organization to secure rights to proprietary technologies including management of preparation, filing and prosecuting of patents and trademarks and copyright applications internally and via outside counsel
· Ensure freedom to operate for the business by implementation of appropriate defensive IP measures and by providing expert legal advice in connection with product IP clearances and patent investigations
· Support collaborations with external business partners by actively negotiating IP-related agreements and legally advising internal business stakeholders.
· Actively support M&A transactions and associated due diligence activities
· Strong leadership skills to promote trust, teamwork and confidence
· Good inter-personal communication skills and a keen ability to interact effectively
· 10 plus years of experience as a practicing attorney in the IP field of law
· JD Degree in Law from an accredited institution
· Admitted to practice law in a US state and before USPTO and advanced knowledge of IP law in EP and CN
· Experience in IP prosecution, counseling, litigation, product IP clearances, patent investigations, and IP-related agreements
· Experience in the Healthcare Industry
· Experience and/or background in the molecular field is preferred but not required.