Intern - Software Developer with Interest in Reliable AI
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 237577
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Summer Intern - Software Developer with Interest in Reliable AI
Are you interested in driving the revolution from automated to autonomous systems in real industrial applications?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our Architecture and Verification of Intelligent Systems research group located in Princeton, NJ, for a full-time summer internship starting May/June 2019, and support the team on both research topics related to machine learning and on-going software development projects. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research.
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. The support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with CT’s own future-oriented research. Siemens’ central research and development arm sees itself as a strategic partner to the company’s businesses. It plays a key role in achieving and maintaining leading competitive positions in the fields of electrification and automation while at the same time helping Siemens fully tap into the growth field of digitalization.
Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities?
You will actively contribute to on-going software development projects by:
- participating to stand-up meetings,
- implementing features,
- testing software components,
- identifying and suggesting improvements to the existing code-base
- defining clear research questions,
- implementing prototypes,
- performing experiments aimed to prove or disprove hypothesis,
- performing reviews and summaries of the state of the art,
- presenting results and findings to team members.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A current MS student pursuing a degree in Engineering or Mathematics. Please note, you must still be enrolled as a student during the internship period to qualify for the position.
- 6+ months experience and interest in one or more of our research topics: Adversarial Examples, Formal Verification, AI Safety, and Neural Networks for Embedded Systems.
- 1+ year experience with one of the major machine learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow)
- 2+ year experience with C# and Python (preferably, 5+ year experience in at least one of the two)
- Strong development skills, and experience designing and executing test-cases.
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on