Strategic Materials Manager
Business Unit: Mobility (MO)
Requisition Number: 237917
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
As a Strategic Material Manager for our Rolling Stock Division you will engage in the planning, development, and execution of plans for various materials to ensure their safe delivery to our manufacturing sites as well as the proper identification and timely release of material to contractors and customers. In this key role you will manage the flow of materials, equipment, goods, supplies, etc., from suppliers. You will review plan requirements for purchasing complex materials as well as lead the contract negotiations for goods, services, suppliers, equipment related to materials transportation and storage. You will evaluate vendor performance and influence all aspects of the materials planning function and inventory to ensure that organizational goals are met.
- Establish a strategic operating approach for the efficient and effective management of materials
- Accountable for overall performance and quality of the supply base including proactively mitigating risks to the operation; including transportation/logistics and import/export.
- Responsible for driving compliance to policies and standard work procedures; Responsible for leading efforts to establish standard procedures and controls.
- Owns supplier performance and relationships; must be able to develop relationships and interface with senior level supplier representatives; including establishment of standard metrics.
- Develop, recommend, and effectively execute advanced sourcing strategies in support of new and existing business objectives
- Drive appropriate team-based sourcing recommendations that drive total value to the operations
- Advise senior level management on comprehensive business and market intelligence data, including strategic opportunities and value-added solutions related to material quality, cost, delivery, service, technology, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional personnel, both domestic and global, to ensure alignment of key strategic objectives
- Effectively communicate team's progress and value to key stakeholders;
Ensure appropriate analysis of supplier proposals is completed; may include market analysis, should cost analysis, TCO analysis, make vs. buy analysis, supplier profit analysis, etc.
- Lead key projects or initiatives that achieve deliverable and schedule commitments
- Ensure the organization delivers valued service to the business, quality
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business administration or equivalent from an accredited university.
- 8 years experience in commodity or supply chain management or comparable business function is required
- Capacity to work in a global, cross-functional organization
High degree of complexity; strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated management leadership ability with teams up to 8
- Experience utilizing financial and data-driven techniques to make decisions
- Proven experience negotiating with suppliers
- Ability to influence through effective verbal and written communication skills at all levels
- Ability to balance workload and achieve key deliverables
- Must have high attention to details within a fast pace environment.
- Collaborative approach to working with cross functional teams.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Masters Degree
- Six Sigma/Lean experience
- APICS or ISM certification
- Multi-Lingual (English, German, Spanish)
- Situational Leadership Training or similar to.