Business Unit: Digital Grid
Requisition Number: 238580
Primary Location: United States-California-Foster City
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, and reliability internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
Scope of the Position:
We are seeking a Data Scientist who has some experience in Product Management and is interested in expanding his/her knowledge on both subjects. The qualified candidate should have at least 3 years of experience working with large data sets in the Utility Industry. 1-2 years of previous consulting or product management experience highly recommended. This role is expected to translate business objectives into actionable data analysis and communicate findings clearly to technical and non-technical audience, and work with customers on regular basis.
- Collaborate with internal teams, consulting teams and external customers to shape and create a vision for the overall analytics vision and business intelligence strategy.
- Work with clients and internal R&D teams as part of co-creation projects to apply data discovery, data science and analytics skill sets towards realizing value form analytics use cases
- Create and execute an overall road map strategy including Monitoring, Reporting, Dashboards and Advanced Analytics from inception and adoption through implementation.
- Provide solutions to complex business problems for area(s) of responsibility where analysis of situations requires in-depth knowledge of organizational smart grid objectives and can create a product vision for analytics.
- Ability to use analytics to drive key success metrics related to yield management and revenue generation.
- Assist R&D team leads in work efforts to develop, refine and scale data management and analytics procedures, systems, workflows, best practices and other issues at a client or within own organization.
Required Education, Experience, Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or related field is required.
- 2-3 years of successful experience in the utility field and successful demonstration of preferred qualifications below.
- Data Management:
- Data gathering / Preparation: Interact with various source system owners, find appropriate ways to extract data out of source systems; Familiarity with multiple types of data (from disparate sources) and be able to explore and examine those.
- Knowledge of best practices for ETL Tools to model, maintain, and optimize data extraction processes and design patterns.
- Big Data Platforms: In depth understanding of relevant data analytics platforms.
- Data Modeling: Working knowledge of Analytical Data models, desirably industry standard models like (CIM – IEC 61968, 61970, 62325).
- Data Discovery: Be able to find hypothesis to fit Utilities customers; Ability to transform discoveries into analytical applications to be used in day-to-day utility operations.
Analytics Modeling and Business Analysis:
- Experience in Data mining/ machine learning, natural language processing, text mining, knowledge modeling and representation (e.g., semantics, rules) and reasoning, data streaming, NoSQL, in memory analytics.
- Experience with developing analytical dashboards and visualization using technologies such as Qlikview, Tableu, d3, dojo, ggplot, HTML5
- Background understanding of statistics (e.g. p value), multivariable calculus and linear algebra, data munging (i.e. dealing with imperfect data), data visualization and data communication.
- Security - working knowledge of security specifically cloud based solutions.
- Experience in developing Smart Grid Data Management systems, underlying architectures, data warehousing, and ETL strategies.
- Understanding market trends and competitive products in the utility industry to make informed recommendations for the product.
- Define product enhancements and strategies regarding analytics products.
- Work within the product management team as well as other teams to determining product vision, positioning and direction.
- Contribute to identification of new opportunities, service improvements and cost reductions.
Prior experience working with use cases, data entities and systems in the utilities industry is preferred.