Engineer – R&D in Advanced Robotics and Automation
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 238763
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
Are you ready to make a difference and create the Future of Automation?
CT is seeking a member of its Advanced Manufacturing Automation Research Group of the vertical “Future of Automation” Technology Field in the Bay Area of San Francisco, California. In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the advanced manufacturing of the future; in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies. We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Modeling, Simulation, Engineering, Control, Machine Learning and Optimization. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
We are looking for a motivated Software Engineer who would like to be part of a dynamic team in the US. Experienced candidates in these areas as well as those with advanced degrees who have research background in these topics with the skills and interest in applying their research and introducing innovative technologies into Siemens products are appreciated.
What are my responsibilities?
The candidates will be responsible for:
• Prototyping new automation & control technologies in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies,
• Evaluating new technologies for Autonomous Systems, AI and Robotics
• Seeking advocacy from appropriate Siemens business units on potential use cases.
• Educating and transferring technologies to Siemens business units for product implementations.
• Collaborating with others, both within and outside Siemens, to develop successful research proposals for external funding that align with Siemens strategic direction.
What skills are needed to qualify for the job?
• BSc required, MSc preferred, in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
• 1-2 years of related experience
• Experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
• Strong background in computer architecture for real time systems
• Advanced knowledge of embedded systems development/ firmware, operating systems and hardware/software integration
• Outstanding coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in C++ and Python
• Experience with some Machine Learning and AI tools and technologies: Caffe, Torch, Tensor Flow.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required
• Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams
• The ability to multitask and make key contributions in several projects
• Ability and motivation to learn and use new technologies
• Ability to work under uncertainty
• Experience with industrial protocols, e.g. OPC-UA, DDS, etc. is a plus
• Experience in applying machine learning and artificial intelligence to industrial problems.
• Previous experience using ROS (Robot Operating System).
• GPU programming, runtime optimization.
• Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies in the area of Automation & Control, e.g. Industrial Automation, Train Automation etc.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs