Business Unit: Digital Grid Solutions & Services
Requisition Number: 238837
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Are you ready to join a lean organization and lead the way in creating the Electrical Digital Twin of the future to design a secure and reliable power system?
The power grid is becoming increasingly connected: physically and digitally. Bringing all the data together and simulating the behavior of the entire power system is a massive challenge. It takes power systems domain knowledge and computer programming skills to build an “electrical digital twin” which can be used to study the current power system and plan for future growth. This is a great opportunity to join a lean software team in a world-renowned company where you will:
Work within an international team of technical experts (Power Engineers and Software Developers) that help our customers providing state of the art Power System Simulation solutions and data model management.
Develop engineering software which uses the Common Information Model (CIM) to represent power system equipment in an easily-exchanged industry standard.
Create and maintain power engineering simulation algorithms which reproduce key aspects of power system operation.
Gain experience in LEAN/Agile software development methodologies and production pipelines.
Provide support to our customers on engineering and software issues which they encounter with our products.
Understand customer need and translate them into cutting edge solutions.
Assist with creating top-notch technical proposals.
Assist in the delivery of complex product deployments to achieve our business targets while delivering high quality and customer satisfaction.
Participate in projects around the globe.
Develop lasting customer relations, being a trusted advisor.
Work with and learn from a team of industry experts.
Gain deep knowledge of the Siemens portfolio of products such as PSS®E, PSS®ODMS, PSS®MOD, and PSS®SINCAL.
Grow your career in a company with a great reputation.
You will perform the following work.
- Provide power systems expertise primarily for the PSS®ODMS product development team for both computer programming and customer-specific projects.
- Maintain, improve, and create improve power system algorithms in Fortran, C, C++, and Python.
- Practice LEAN/Agile software production using tools such as Git, JIRA, and Confluence.
- Build software using Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Adhere to software development process to ensure high quality code.
- Support customer-specific development projects.
- Create estimates for software production work.
- Document source code, algorithms, and processes.
- Maintain and create product documentation for customer use.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
You must have the following.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with thesis, or related work in power systems; Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience (1-3 years) will be considered. PhD degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on power systems preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience; Masters or PhD time counts if the work was applicable to this position.
- Strong power system engineering skills such as large-scale power system simulations, power system modeling and operations.
- Experience using PSS®E, PSLF, PowerWorld or equivalent industrial simulation software.
- Understanding of power flow algorithm and contingency analysis
- Experience in computer programming using C/C++, Python, Java or equivalent. This is not just a power systems engineer position. There will be a lot of computer programming involved.
- Possibly 10% travel; most work is at in the office but occasional customer visits may be required.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as being self-motivated.
- Ability to learn new skills and technology.
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal and professional integrity.
- Good writing and communication skills in English.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
If you have these attributes, you will have an edge.
- Doctorate degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with thesis preferred.
- Understanding of PSS®E power flow, short circuit and dynamics data format. Knowledge of common information model (CIM), EMS/SCADA system preferred.
- Experience with state estimation preferred.
- Experience with Fortran preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio development environment preferred.
- Experience with Git preferred.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines preferred.