Senior System Engineer - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 238931
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-East Pittsburgh
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
Siemens Mobility is seeking to hire a Senior System Engineer to support our Rail Automation business. In this role, you will lead the application and development processes to analyze, design, troubleshoot, implement and enhance hardware systems for the rail industry; specifically with carborne products such as ATC, ATO and ACSES.
You will use analytical theories and methodologies to investigate, analyze, design, document, enhance, implement and maintain these complex systems. In addition, you will perform complex maintenance, enhancement, testing and support of existing hardware. You will also complete complex design, development, testing, and modification of new hardware systems. We will also need completion of complex technical writings and for you to independently perform a full range of standard work for the professional field.
- Provide technical support to review specifications to determine system hardware engineering requirements during bids and proposals.
- Design and engineer complex technical solutions necessary to satisfy specific requirements of contracts, implementing complex hardware solutions while adhering to manufacturing capabilities and maintain schedule, cost and quality.
- Complete estimates for complex task durations.
- Provide high level design directions to a project engineering team.
- Communicate with all engineering disciplines to efficiently direct the project team.
- Create project technical documentation, system level drawings and functional descriptions to satisfy the project requirements.
- Provide a technical interface to the customer which results in cost effective, safe and reliable project solutions.
- Negotiate technical solutions that meet the customer specification while minimizing the cost impact on the company.
- Identify when to use or adapt existing components where possible to meet new system design requirements.
- Effectively interface internally with manufacturing, procurement and logistics.
- Evaluate the cost effectiveness of using existing, higher unit cost, designs for low quantity orders as opposed to creating new, lower unit cost, designs for high quantity orders to meet design to cost initiatives.
- Perform the quality process by the rigorous and detailed execution of module, sub-system and system test procedures
- Identify and lead complex troubleshooting efforts regarding internal design failures as well as system integration issues during field testing.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 10+ Years of Related Experience
- Design and application of carborne products including ATC, ATO and ACSES.
- Strong leadership skills.
- The ability to work independently and in a leadership role in a group setting.
- Strong Communications skills.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and proven ability to identify and implement solutions.
- Strong negotiation skills.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Familiarity with CFR Title 49 parts 236 and 238.
- Knowledge of environmental testing requirements specific to the rail industry.
In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
-Excellent health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, tuition reimbursement, & 18 days of PTO to start
-Extensive training along with career development
We aim to hire top talent and provide them with opportunities to earn top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in an innovative environment. If you're interested in becoming an Senior System Engineer with Siemens Mobility, we'll offer you the support and career advancement to make it happen!
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.