Business Unit: Research in Digitalization and Automation
Requisition Number: 238951
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Right now, we’re powering a whole country, finding ways to prevent malaria, making cities smarter, developing renewable energy, designing 3D robots, transporting people at 250 mph and helping NASA explore Mars. Our experience has shown that key technology components coming from areas like AI, analytics, IOT, Cyber-Security, additive manufacturing and materials science are extremely relevant for such innovations.
Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this as a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes.
To strengthen our activities, we are seeking a dynamic leader to advance our successful analytics and artificial intelligence team in Princeton, NJ. The team provides pre-development (aka research) services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting to all of Siemens’ businesses. It also pursuits government funding opportunities, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
The position is critical as the person must continuously advance specific global technology roadmap elements and develop the capabilities of the team and adjust the portfolio offerings with respect to the needs. As collaboration with academic partners is a key success factor to acquire new technologies, pursue public funding and attract new talents into the organization, we expect the person to develop and maintain focused relationships to the right partners.
While aligning with internal stakeholders, like global Technology Field leader, other Key Experts, and local management, we also expect substantial outside-of-the box thinking to secure Siemens’ innovativeness in the relevant technology areas.
We expect you to show leadership while simultaneously being a supportive teammate with a hands-on approach. You drive the team with your entrepreneurial attitude based on your ambitious, strategic, analytical, creative, reliable, open-minded, and passionate manner. You will be part of a growing team and must have an adaptive mindset, ready and willing to take on new and bigger challenges daily.
What will be my responsibilities?
- Develop specific technology roadmap elements further, propose and develop new technologies to become part of the roadmap
- Be familiar with the overall roadmap to successfully acquire funded projects supporting the Siemens businesses
- Support execution of the Research Group’s business strategy including target definitions, growth areas and business plans.
- Closely interact with Principals, R&D heads and Technology Field heads.
- Build Siemens-internal network to acquire projects to achieve the revenue targets; maintain relationships to the business units within Siemens;
- Acquire and execute projects with Siemens businesses with hands-on approach and focus on high quality delivery
- Collaborate with the other CT Research Groups to build larger products and integrate into comprehensive solutions
- Develop and maintain relationships with key universities and institutes to expand technology portfolio and jointly pursue public funding opportunities.
- Collaborate with experts and peers to secure government grants in relevant domains.
- Assist developing brand recognition externally by networking with industry experts, attending conferences and partnering with universities.
What do I need to qualify for this position?
- PhD from a reputed organization in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Mechanical Engineering, Statistics or Applied Mathematics.
- 3+ years of experience as researcher and engineer in the areas of analytics and artificial intelligence with a proven track record in academia, industry or military/government
- Ability to multitask and anticipate project needs
- Preference would be given to candidates with focus on Reinforcement Learning
- Proven knowledge of Artificial Intelligence with focus on Deep Learning/Machine Learning
- Proven Java/C++ and Python development skills
- Established networks within US academia/research institutions.
- Highly motivated with a can-do attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and English language communication skills (written & verbal.) Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects. Proficiency in German is a plus.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic and international team with a strong customer service orientation
- Willingness to travel 10% (domestic/international)
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law.
US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34