Project Developer - Distributed Energy Systems
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 239005
Primary Location: United States-New York-Rochester
Other Locations: United States-New York-Syracuse
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 10%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit:
Electrical Power Systems Project Developer specializing in behind-the-meter distributed energy systems (DES) to work in its Northeast BPS group. This person will be responsible for developing (or contributing to the development of) solutions that build business using existing and emerging distributed energy technologies. The successful candidate will possess demonstrated electrical power systems engineering industry expertise and knowledge of navigating regulatory require for DES interconnections. Work will be in a matrix teams across the Northeast BPS group’s region.
This position performs and/or leads electrical and engineering work related to the application planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of distributed energy systems and related technology solutions. It leads (as project engineer when needed) or participates in teams working on emerging technologies associated with distributed generation of various renewable fuels (solar, cogeneration, etc.); energy storage; grid interface technologies and protocols; microgrids and other related approaches.
Work will include
program technology strategy, data and financial analysis, task and project
engineering, utility regulatory examination, grant and rebate analysis and
communication of key insights to internal and external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform various power engineering analyses using various software and analytical tools.
- Perform analyses on customer facilities to determine DES penetration capacity and power generation;
- Lead and manage feasibility studies around distributed energy systems as these relate to utility and customer power systems;
- Establish performance specifications and application standards to be applied to complex electrical power systems for commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings
- Lead Engineering Project Development of commercially viable DES projects (financial models, valuations, estimates and cost proposals). This position supports Sales Account Executives, with its performance evaluation based upon successful Orders Intake.
- Work with local utilities where the DES project is being developed to provide interconnection research and manage the interconnection process.
- Follow and communicate relevant technology trends, regulatory developments, and emerging business models; analyze key sector trends, trajectories, and developments;
- Advise stakeholders on specifications and policy adoptions related to codes, standards and program design;
- Identify and negotiate acquisition of emerging technology equipment relating to connected energy technologies (appliances and devices) and demand side management.
- Develop or participate in the development of grant or teaming proposals; participate as a subject matter expert extra-agency teams building demonstrations or pilot projects;
- Collaborate with regional and national agencies/organizations to gain insight on and support emerging energy technologies.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical
Engineering; or other combinations of education and/or experience which
provides preparation to do professional electrical engineering work on major
electrical power systems.
Experience: Six years of progressively responsible, difficult and highly complex or visible electrical power systems engineering experience
- Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
- • Must be at least 21 years old with a clean and valid driver’s license; must meet eligibility requirements to drive a Siemens company vehicle.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer preferred.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Eight years progressively responsible experience and demonstrated expertise with distributed energy resources.
- Two to Five years' experience and demonstrated expertise with distributed solar and/or energy storage sectors;
- Two to Five years' experience and demonstrated expertise with energy storage appliances and infrastructure;
- Demonstrated self-starter and strong leader with sound judgement and ability to identify and develop solutions to complex electrical engineering problems. Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, develop, and implement methods for technology improvements.
- Experience and demonstrated ability coordinating the efforts of multi-discipline, multi-agency project teams to complete work.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to translate complex information for non-technical audiences.
- Experience researching local utility tariffs and regulatory requirements.
- Experience in securing financial incentives from appropriate organizations
- Experience drafting and publishing professional technical papers.