Laboratory Technician - High Voltage
Business Unit: High Voltage Products
Requisition Number: 239066
Primary Location: United States-Mississippi-Richland
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: No
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens Richland facility is looking for a High Voltage Circuit Breaker Test Technician. This position will be responsible for performing mechanical & electrical operational tests to verify complete and accurate engineering and manufacturing.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard. Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? At Siemens, we can do this together.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you!
· Conduct various regular and special electrical tests on all types of circuit breakers, switchgear and associated components.
· Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis, to confirm the integrity of product operations, identifying root cause for discrepancies and performance failures.
· Make necessary connections; operate breakers and use low and high voltage equipment to test resistance, heat and dielectric factors, load, timing, and similar performance characteristics.
· Will also be required to utilize personal computer and/or computerized technology such as in testing product and/or related recordkeeping.
· Verify completeness, location and proper functioning of all instruments, meters and other components.
· Check equipment and interpret proper electrical-mechanical clearances.
· Conduct special tests under direction of engineering personnel.
· Conduct final tests on regular line breakers and test special or rarely encountered breakers following established practices.
· Make necessary calculations.
· Read and interpret complex drawings, schematic diagrams, specification sheets, performance charts, test standards and other procedures.
· Check function of controls, relays, indicators, and other electrical features and make adjustments as necessary.
· Check and adjust calibration.
· Reject defective breakers; prepare test reports and keep required records.
· Troubleshoot circuit breakers, and other related components to the sub-assembly and/or root-cause level.
· Work with and instruct testers and other assembly personnel to insure that preliminary and routine tests are carried out correctly; verify changes and explain new procedures.
· Use tools and testing equipment including Megger, digital multimeter, Hi-Pot tester, Oil Dielectric strength tester, multiamps relay tester, primary & secondary injection set, cable fault detector, & oscilloscope.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience:
1. Under general guidance of supervisor, perform a variety of complex operations to test the electrical and mechanical characteristics of circuit breakers and switchgear, and all related parts and assemblies.
2. Experience reading and interpreting schematics and wiring diagrams.
3. Individual who has the ability to work in a team as well as individually.
4. Basic understanding of other Microsoft products (Outlook, Live Meeting, Word and PowerPoint).
5. Associates Degree in Engineering is strongly desired, although a combination of education (HS Diploma or GED equivalency is a minimum requirement) and directly related work experience will also be considered.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.