Rail Electrification Automation Solution Engineer
Business Unit: Mobility (MO)
Requisition Number: 239091
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Tualatin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens US Talent Acquisition
We are seeking an experiences Rail Electrification Solution Engineer who is dedicated to the safe and effective delivery of all automation and networking designs throughout the entire project lifecycle to ensure projects are delivered on-time and on-budget.
• Responsible for design, engineering and commissioning of PLC based fully integrated automation systems for DC traction power substations.
• Complete hardware selection and design including development of network architectures for Simatic PLC, HMI and SCADA Systems.
• Actively engage in software development utilizing a wide range of technology tools such as TIA Portal, WinCC, Step7 and Industrial Ethernet based protocols.
• Performs Factory Integration Testing (FIT) and Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) / commissioning tests and modifies hardware and software to achieve an operational state on site.
• Travel to customer locations may be required and could at times go as high as up to 50%.
• Monitors the planning and design of customer TPSS-SCADA data networks.
• Provides complex technical assistance and resolutions for network problems.
• Develops solutions to complex network problems, programming issues and specifications requirements at the SCADA level.
• Defines problems with existing networks and initiates designs of new system wide data networks.
• Monitors the Installation, maintenance and monitoring of complex operation of a customer's network system.
• Configure networking equipment such as WAN devices, Routers and Managed switches and up to Layer 3 devices
• Design IP networks and selecting appropriate networking hardware per project requirements
• Design and setup of communications networks between multiple sites
• Develops engineering documents and drawings for automation and networking designs
• Review and stamp all Mechanical drawings (as and when required) (preferred)
• Provides assistance in routine design, development, testing and modifications of current solutions
• Provides engineering support to the Commissioning Team during commissioning phase of a project
• Interfaces with the Project Management team to prepare engineering submittals and work plans
• Interfaces with Procurement to develop material specifications for vendors and manufacturers
• Provides assistance in preparing explanations to enable clear and proper interpretation of routine specifications, performance characteristics, other technical data and commercial issues
• Assist in recommending new designs, new processes, or design changes to meet project requirements and to ensure our continuous competiveness
• Routinely create Bill of Materials (BOM) for each piece of equipment required for automation and networking designs
• Mentor Junior staff as required
• Active team player and be able to work well independently and in a team setting
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Professional Engineer (P.E.) registered (desired)
• Minimum 10 years’ experience with communications and networking equipment
• Solid demonstrable knowledge and experience of high level programming languages such as C++
• Solid demonstrable knowledge and experience of Cyber security and encryption techniques
• Solid demonstrable knowledge and experience of RF Ethernet Radio
• Solid demonstrable knowledge and experience of Traction Power (preferred)
• Solid demonstrable knowledge and experience of Cellular technology
• Familiarity with Siemens PLC and HMI systems
• Ability to code basic PLC and HMI system projects independently with minimal supervision
• Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of and experience with the following Siemens products is an advantage:
o 8DA10, 8DA11 and 8DA12 Gas-insulated Switchgear (GIS)
o Sitras® TCR thyristor rectifier
o Sitras® REC diode rectifier
o Sitras® DSG DC switchgear
o Sitras® PRO DC micro-processor protection relay
o Sitras® SCD short-circuiting device
o Sitras® SCS station controller
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Visio)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in a relevant Engineering discipline
• Master of Science (MSc) degree in a relevant Engineering discipline (preferred)
Specific Health, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities for this Post
• Accept a personal responsibility to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions
• Take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions that could have an environmental impact
• Ensure compliance with the business procedures relative to their position
• Follow emergency procedures
• Wear approved protective clothing and use safety equipment when required by health and safety regulations
• Use all equipment provided safely - notify local management of any observed deficiencies or defects as soon as they become apparent
• Inform management of any changes in materials, plant or processes and of any new materials, plant or processes which become apparent in the course of work that may impact on safety or the environment
• Inform management of any potential items that could improve Siemens environmental performance