System Requirements Engineer - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 239246
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Munhall
Other Locations: United States-Kentucky-Louisville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
Are you ready to specify, design, and deliver train control systems and components that will enhance the safety of railroad operations in North America?
Siemens Rail Automation is seeking to hire a Requirements Engineer to support our business. In this role, you will elicit, analyze, validate, specify, verify, and manage the real needs of the project stakeholders, including customers and end users. You will also serve as the conduit between the customer community and the development team through which requirements flow.
A requirements engineer is involved at some level throughout the entire system or software development life cycle. Upon establishment of the requirements baseline, the focus is shifted towards the management of the requirements specification and verifying the fulfillment of all requirements. This includes establishing a project tracing model, creating trace links from requirements to other project artifacts (e.g., contract, design, test), and reporting on requirements coverage.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, storyboards, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, event lists, business analysis, competitive product analysis, task and workflow analysis, and/or viewpoints.
- Write requirements specifications according to standard templates, using natural language simply, clearly, and concisely.
- Define quality attributes, external interfaces, constraints, and other nonfunctional requirements.
- Lead requirements analysis and verification, ensuring that requirement statements are complete, consistent, concise, comprehensible, traceable, feasible, and verifiable, and that they conform to standards.
- Participate in peer reviews and inspections of requirements documents and work products derived from requirements specifications to ensure that the requirements were interpreted correctly.
- Enter, manage, and report on requirements stored in a commercial requirements management tool. Define requirements attributes and facilitate their use throughout the project.
- Manage requirements traceability information and track requirements status throughout the project.
- Manage changes to baselined requirements through effective application of change control processes and tools.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- 3-5 years of experience in requirements engineering or exposed to requirements (e.g., architect, team lead)
- Competent with a requirements management tool, such as DOORS or similar tool
- An understanding of contemporary requirements elicitation, analysis, specification, verification, and management practices and the ability to apply them in practice; familiarity with requirements engineering books and resources
- An understanding of how to practice requirements engineering according to several system development life cycles in a team environment
- Requires 10-20% travel
- Domain knowledge in railroad systems is a plus, to have credibility and work effectively with stakeholders from the railroads and other transit agencies.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, tuition reimbursement, and 18 days of PTO to start - including 8 paid company holidays and (2) personal floating holidays.
- Training along with career development
We aim to hire top talent and provide them with opportunities to earn top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in an innovative environment. If you're interested in becoming a Requirements Engineer with Siemens Mobility, we'll offer you the support and career advancement to make it happen!
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.