Principal Civil Engineer
Business Unit: Energy Solutions
Requisition Number: 239248
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services. Siemens sets the standard for excellence in power generation, transmission and distribution, and provides innovative customer solutions – from utilities, to industrial space, to oil and gas companies. Siemens’ portfolio includes power plants and power-generating equipment, turbines for use as mechanical drives, compressors for industrial applications, power transmission and distribution systems, smart grid applications, and related instrumentation and control systems. For more information, please visit:
Siemens Gas and Power is making a difference in the future of energy. The Civil Engineering group in Plant layout and Civil Engineering (PLCP) group of Energy Solutions America, is looking for an experienced professional with can-do attitude who can take over the mantle of project lead / Principal Engineer for the upcoming projects.
- Evaluate customer and site specific requirements for all plant designs and structures and establish project specific design criteria and evaluate impact.
- Provide technical direction during the proposal stage, identify critical seismic and underground risks, support on quantities, permitting, underground concept development and geotechnical testing
- During the execution stage, coordinate and manage detail design of foundations, Design and construct buildings, underground utilities and drainage with SPEL.
- Shall be familiar with international and American seismic code and design.
- Develop civil quantity estimates for proposals and closely work with Contractor to get the construction estimates. Work with other team members to get a shadow construction estimate.
- Work with Architect Engineers and Engineer of Record (EOR) and provide oversight for Turbo generator foundations and other major foundations which include complex modeling and dynamic analysis in finite element packages.
- Shall have a strong structural background and be familiar with industrial buildings design, Pre-Engineered Structures, Enclosures, pipe racks, gallery platforms, cranes, and miscellaneous supporting structures.
- Review critical civil engineering designs and analyses which are typically performed by Architect Engineers to ensure compliance with Contract and Siemens requirements
- Develop civil engineering solutions for a greenfield/ brownfield site which includes but not limited to, foundation concept, piling concept, mine grouting etc.
- Attend weekly meeting with core disciplines and Project Management, plant layout, equipment owners, SPEL and site.
- Develop specifications for contractors, support bid package development, remeasured quantity monitoring and control design quantities by SPEL
- Support Contractor and SPEL negotiations; attend SPEL kickoff and Contractor kickoff.
- Make site visits to coordinate civil engineering issues, pile testing, pre pour inspections, of CTG and STG foundations etc.
- Site support, manage contractor RFI (request for information), provide TI (technical Instruction) and manage and document the change (PCM process)
- Support Project management on technical interfaces for Contractor claims
- Address and resolve complex civil engineering and civil and structural non-conformance issues as they relate to the design and installation of foundations, buildings, structures, and equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural engineering or technical equivalent.
- 8+ years in engineering, construction, and design.
- 2+ years experience in power plant industry.
- familiar with international and American seismic code and design.
- Shall have a strong structural background and be familiar with industrial buildings design, Pre-Engineered Structures, Enclosures, pipe racks, gallery platforms, cranes, and miscellaneous supporting structures
- Solution oriented and focused and shall be able to drive the project forward.
- Ability and flexibility to 15 % travel to site.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
A thorough knowledge in Siemens supplied turbogenerator machinery foundation analysis and design is preferred.