Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 239348
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/us/en/home/company/about/businesses.html
This position is responsible for drafting and prosecution of patent applications relating to Siemens inventions from its corporate research center in Princeton, NJ. You will be responsible for all the tasks required to meet USPTO requirements, meeting Siemens policies and practices related to patent procurement, and drafting legal arguments based on analysis of technical references. In addition, you will coordinate Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) filings and foreign prosecution of patent applications. The work location for this career opportunity is in Princeton, NJ.
• Responsible for drafting and prosecution of patent applications filed in the USPTO.
• Analyze technical references to determine differences between drafted patent applications and cited art/prior art.
• Interfaces with inventors within the scope of patent procurement.
• Responsible coordinating foreign prosecution and PCT filings.
• Responsible for the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent correspondence.
• Must be able to contribute to a team environment and assist members with technical and/or legal issues as related to patents.
• Acts as liaison between company attorneys, outside counsel, organizations, and in-house employees.
• Maintain a patent docket and handle same in a timely fashion.
• Must be able to handle a number of cases and work independently.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in software engineering, computer science or electrical engineering from an accredited University.
• Registered as a patent agent or attorney in the USPTO.
• Five to Eight plus years of extensive experience with US patent drafting and US patent prosecution of software applications.
• Considerable experience with appeals, examiner interviews, and petitions.
• Strong knowledge of PCT and foreign filing practice.
• Able to take direction and work both independently and as a cooperative team member.
• Ability to work under pressure with sound judgment in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to handle multiple projects or tasks while effectively prioritizing to meet deadlines.
• Related engineering experience preferred.
• Technical understanding of Siemens products and technologies preferred.