Product Engineer, Staff Mechatronics
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 239447
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
The Staff Mechatronics Engineer will provide high quality engineering expertise for Mechatronics Engineering design and development projects within Lab Diagnostics (LD), Global Engineering Organization (GEO) for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics, Inc. Candidate will: drive development of mechatronics and automated systems; develop robust and optimal control system designs, champion new and improving products and mechatronics and control technologies; drive creation of designs with robustness, performance, and cost as KPI’s; manage product lifecycle through our Siemens CRB process; lead in troubleshooting and determining root cause for issues found in verification; drive the set based design process; conceptualize and design solutions for specific engineering challenges; ; adopt and execute an ownership culture.
The Mechatronics Engineer shall provide design solutions to a wide range of precision-motion systems that involves constructing advanced servo-mechanical models, performing model-based design selection and optimization, and developing robust control design. The Mechatronics Engineer would be responsible for executing the Mechatronics design cycle that involves understanding design requirements and inputs, design concept generation and selection, developing robust and optimal control schemes, driving simulation-based servo-mechanical design optimization and robustness analysis, test-based validation of models and designs, and clearly and comprehensively documenting the work. Teamwork and cross-disciplinary collaboration are essential to this role.
This position requires a Masters or Doctoral Degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace/Biomedical Engineering and with demonstrated skills and experience in developing advanced control algorithms, and designing and implementing robust control systems for high-precision motion applications. Candidate must demonstrate expertise in Dynamics and Control and must have experience with sensors and actuators for precision motion control applications. This Staff Engineer role will work with Mechanical designers, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Firmware, Manufacturing, Procurement, Suppliers, Service, and Quality to come up with novel and inventive solutions for cost effective mechanical subsystems and assemblies.
Essential Job Functions
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for quality, timeliness and costs-effectiveness of Mechatronics Engineering designs for development projects within LD GEO.
- Drive Engineering excellence by executing and participating in Siemens Center of Excellence activities and Design to Shelf initiatives (Technology development, DFSS, Set Based Design, Logical Decision making, Creating Knowledge briefs, etc…).
- Drives cross-functional teams in a collaborative environment
- Actively participates in identification of potential technical problems and provides effective solutions by application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, and processes; display original thinking in applying principles, theories, and concepts on a wide range of problems within the field of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering.
- Works closely with Mechanical, Fluidics, Systems, Electrical, Structural, Thermal, and Software Applications Engineers as well as with Reliability, Test, Manufacturing, and Service Engineers on full integration of Mechatronics Engineering into product development.
- Responsible for timely and high quality documentation of design progress, preparation and execution of technical reviews.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement efforts for the Mechatronics Engineering function, contributes to development and administration of Process, Practice and Procedures (PPPs) in the area of Mechatronics Engineering.
- Applies best practice and appropriate tool usage in actual daily practice.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables to the mechanical/fluidics design and firmware/electrical teams.
- Appropriately document designs, activities, and knowledge growth to meet project, organization, and regulatory needs.
- Works with external vendors in close cooperation with LD supply chain management to develop quality, manufacturable, testable, and lowest cost electro-mechanical designs.
- Travels as required by cross-site product development.
- Perform detailed engineering analysis of new and existing designs to verify robustness and design intent.
- Participates, initiates, and leads technology and design reviews with a cross functional team.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamentals of dynamics, mechanical vibration, control theory, signal processing, and sensors & actuators for mechatronic applications.
- Must have experience with design of precision-motion control systems (mechatronics).
- Must be able to develop models and perform simulations across a diverse range of mechatronic applications.
- Must have skills and experience in developing advanced control algorithms for robust control of high-precision motion control systems.
- Must be proficient in Matlab and Simulink. Experience with other simulations tools such as AmeSim and SimMechanics is a plus.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis and Structural Dynamics simulations is highly desirable.
- Experience with test-based servo-mechanical characterization including system identification, performance characterization, modal analysis and vibration measurements is a plus.
- Ability to perform hardware-in-loop simulations on complex sub-systems would be a plus.
- Must be able to lead Mechatronic Engineering design projects with focus on reliability and cost–effectiveness.
- Must be able to critically evaluate existing Mechatronic Engineering designs and propose performance improvements.
- Knowledge of and experience with Labview, statistical data analysis, Design of Experiments and is highly desirable.
- Must have ability to apply system-level thinking in the design process including firmware and software architecture, sequencing, and system timing.
- Demonstrated understanding of mechatronic design and product development for robust performance with minimized cost and high manufacturability.
- Great oral and written presentation skills. The ability to communicate work progress in a manner leading to establishment of credibility with senior leadership.
Additional desired experience:
- Experience designing medical devices or automation equipment is a plus.
- Previous experience with design of medical Lab Diagnostics instruments is a plus
- Experience of working in a large global corporate matrix environment is a plus.
- Experience of working in multi-discipline teams.
- Working knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Set Based Design and other lean development techniques is highly desirable.
- Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs or A3’s) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Experience of working with vendors to develop technical specification and identify suitable mechatronic devices (sensors, actuators, controllers e.t.c) for various mechatronic applications is highly desirable.
- Experience spanning all phases of product development from concept creation through product launch/commercialization is a plus.
- Ability to create statistically sound test cases for product or feature performance demonstration and verification.
- Masters or Doctoral degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace/Biomedical Engineering
- Experience in product development for Medical/Pharmaceutical/Aerospace/Automotive industry is preferred.
- A strong track record of professional peer-reviewed publications and patents is highly desirable.
- Active participation in Professional Engineering societies (ASME, IEEE, AIAA, etc.) is a plus.