Blade Design Structures Engineer
Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 239506
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Boulder
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable EnergyWith a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Wind Turbine Blade Design Structure Engineer
Do you feel prepared to design wind turbine blades for Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy and contribute to make real what matters, clean energy for generations to come?
The Boulder R&D Center for Blade Design is composed of a multi-disciplinary group of engineering experts in aerodynamics, acoustics, structures, loads, and controls, who work concurrently to design new blades and develop new technologies. This world-class center offers an open, inspiring, and diverse working environment located at the heart of downtown Boulder, Colorado, an amazing place to work and live.
We are looking for a structural design engineer to join our Blade Design Structures team and directly contribute to the development of new products and new blade technologies.
As a Structural Design Engineer, your primary tasks will cover the following:
· Perform conceptual and detailed design of composite, utility-scale wind turbine blades.
· Coordinate design tasks within the local structural design team and with global teams in Denmark and Spain.
· Perform multi-objective structural design optimization for function, cost and manufacturability.
· Interface with experts in other engineering disciplines e.g. aerodynamics, acoustics, loads, and controls.
· Interface with technology projects to define new technologies needed to enable larger, lighter and more efficient wind turbine blade.
· Development of computational design tools and methodologies.
· Development of engineering design models at multiple fidelity levels.
Structural Design Engineers are required to possess the following:
· Master’s or PhD degree required.
· Minimum one (1) years of industry experience with design of composite structures.
· Excellent knowledge of composite structures and composite manufacturing methods.
· Programming experience in MATLAB, FORTRAN, C/C++, or similar.
· Computational modeling experience with Finite Element software (ANSYS, ABAQUS, or similar).
· Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written reports.
· Strong analytical skills, self-motivation, and emotional intelligence to work and thrive in a collaborative global team environment.
· Willing and able to travel internationally.
Structural Design Engineers are desired to possess the following:
· Prior experience with wind turbine blade design and/or manufacturing.
· Knowledge of aero-structure elasticity, plate and shell theory, cross sectional analysis of composites beam and general beam theory.
· Knowledge of design optimization methods.
· Reliability engineering and probabilistic design experience.
· Experience authoring scientific papers and technical reports.