Organization: Gas and Power
Business Unit: EPC Projects
Requisition Number: 239593
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for
engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally
for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously
leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business
opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in
eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management,
Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and
Drives, and Financial Services. Siemens sets the standard for excellence in
power generation, transmission and distribution, and provides innovative
customer solutions – from utilities, to industrial space, to oil and
gas companies. Siemens’ portfolio includes power plants and power-generating
equipment, turbines for use as mechanical drives, compressors for industrial
applications, power transmission and distribution systems, smart grid
applications, and related instrumentation and control systems. For more
information, please visit:
Electrical Engineer – Plant Layout
Can you help us shape the future? We’re looking for dedicated people with the skills and vision to build a better tomorrow. Join our Gas and Power EPC team as an Electrical Engineer – Plant Layout professional and help us create the technology that will transform entire industries, cities and even countries.
In this dynamic role, you will be responsible for the design, specification and estimation of the electrical interconnect systems in support of the execution of new thermal power plant projects for the Energy Solutions business.
• Develop Instrument quantities from P&ID drawings and support costing and purchasing of instruments and instrument auxiliaries
• Support EPC proposal documentation and contractor documentation for EPC projects
• Develop electric power system interconnect concepts for power plant auxiliary electrical systems
• Perform sizing calculations and develop specifications for power plant electrical and Instrument interconnect system. Interact with the electrical component group and optimize the overall plant electrical system
• Layout the cable interconnects and determine within team cable quantities, terminations, conduit size, type and length. Understand the interconnections between electrical equipment and distributed control systems.
• Coordinate the electrical interfaces internal between Gas Turbine, Steam Turbine and Plant Engineering and with external Architect Engineer
• Oversee and direct plant electrical system engineering work performed by outside engineering firms including A/Es and partners. Knowledge of the NEC or IEC standards.
• Develop take off quantities for interconnection systems.
• Resolve field installation and commissioning problems associated with equipment and systems within assigned responsibilities.
• Communicate in both written and verbal form and to interface with a wide range of organizations both internally and externally regarding power plant system and equipment design requirements.
• Development and use of a global supplier base for specified equipment.
• Develop, track and meet project or proposal schedule commitments and budgets
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPTENCIES:
• BS degree in Electrical or Instrument Engineering
• 6-10 years of progressive experience and knowledge of power plant electrical systems and equipment for gas turbine, steam turbine and combined-cycle power plant applications.
• Strong communications skills, able to clearly and concisely express technical information and power plant system and equipment design requirements (or data) to non-technical associates, peers and management.
• Strong Technical writing skills.
• Presentation and meeting facilitation skills
• Strong knowledge with routing options for underground duct banks, cable trays, and conduit construction.
• Demonstrated Knowledge and experience with cable sizing routing, electrical equipment and specifications and grounding.
• Knowledge of estimating take of quantities
• Clear understanding of the terminology used in the power plant construction industry
• Experience with engineering drawings and schematics.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Ability to develop, track and meet project or proposal schedule commitments and budgets.
• Knowledge of and development of global supplier base for specified equipment.
• Knowledge of or experience with one or more of the following:
generator step-up transformers, unit auxiliaries transformers, isolated phase bus, generator circuit breakers, medium and low voltage switchgear, DC system – batteries / battery chargers,
diesel generators, protective relaying systems.
• Leadership skills and the ability to apply these skills to applications dealing with a large multi-functional organization to ensure that successful results are attained
• Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in diverse groups.
• The ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward and drive implementation
• Flexibility, ability and willingness for domestic / international travel of 10%
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Knowledge and experience of timberline estimating software a plus
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years.