Commercial Product Testing Manager
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 239839
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Commercial Product Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Commercial Product Testing Manager position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in new product development or sustaining engineering required and 5+ years leading small to mid-sized engineering or testing teams.
The Commercial Product Testing Manager will lead a team of engineers/chemists, which own and drive product design change and verification testing. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to come in and support our team and drive functional excellence. This role will manage a team of 7-10 engineers/chemists, liaise with our Product Support teams, and work closely with the service, supply chain and manufacturing organizations. This manager will develop and promote Siemens best practices and test methods,and utilize product and design engineering support groups to deliver high quality designs.
Candidate must demonstrate expertise in design change and systems and methods integration (system/assay interaction). Areas include statistical analysis, risk assessment, integration, test methods, and design controls.
The position is open in Tarrytown, NY and there is the potential to manage team members located at our Flanders, NJ and Glasgow, DE sites. There is an expectation of travel up to 10-15% to these two other sites. The position reports to the VP of Engineering within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures projects teams are fully staffed and with the required skillset needed for success
- Conducts mid, end of year reviews of team members. Drives development plans as needed.
- Develops training plans for staff and updates accordingly to project needs
- Participate in long range planning sessions
- Develops team annual budgets
- Ensures teams are using best practice processes and procedures
- Brainstorm new ways of working to eliminate waste and reduce time to market
- Ensure teams are engaged, have high morale, and perform at a high levels at all times
- Apply problem solving skills and root cause analysis to all areas of the business
- Ensure the quality of work produced by the team is high, and apply continuous improvement measures
- Plan teams work in coordination with other teams, adjust as necessary
- Critically evaluate teams designs/plans/outputs and adjust using engineer/testing experience and knowledge
- Perform Work Package team lead activities, managing resources, quality and schedule.
- Work closely with multiple groups and functions to ensure full integration of design changes into the instrument designs
- Participates in technical problem solving, by providing effective solutions for technical challenges, by applying concepts, techniques and process’ within the scope of biomedical engineering.
- Strong prior knowledge of medical diagnostics systems is a strong plus
- Working understanding of DfSS, FMEA’s, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in TeamCenter a plus.
- Exposure to Agile/Scrum methodologies desirable
- Understanding of design control process’ and procedures, including risk assessment
- Good communication skills, written and oral
- The ability to relate well and establish credibility at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in new product development or sustaining engineering required.
- Experienced functional manager with 5+ years leading small to mid-sized engineering teams required.
- Previous medical instrumentation design a plus but not necessary. Many adjacent fields (industrial, automotive, aerospace, etc) with similar skillsets considered.
- Masters or PHD a plus, but not necessary