Business Unit: Service Controls and Digitalization
Requisition Number: 240559
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Software Engineer – Rotating Equipment/Turbo Machinery
The world never stands still. And new challenges arise every day. With passion for questioning things, for supplying ideas, and intelligently driving things forward we are helping society move towards a more intelligent future. Be it with technologies that reduce carbon emissions or in cities or hyperintelligent robots. This is how we are able to tackle the most important projects and push them forward together. Help us shape the future.
In this dynamic role, you will be responsible for programming diverse complex control systems for rotating equipment, including but not limited to reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, steam and gas turbines, and aero derivative gas turbines. You will ensure that the systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
A thorough understanding of the organization as the role includes multidisciplinary activities, working closely with colleagues around the world and across different functions including Application Leads, Operations, Procurement and other Engineering teams.
• Software design and development for rotating equipment control system applications based on given requirements and specifications, for new equipment and existing equipment (modifications/upgrades).
• Machine control algorithms implementation on various PLC based systems, based on specifications.
• Duties will include generation of PLC Code, defining Modbus, OPC or DCS interfaces, Bently Nevada configuration, technical notes, documenting field change modifications, Installation and Commissioning, FAT and SAT detailed procedures if required.
• Less than 5% travel/year expected.
• 5% availability outside regular work hours, to support customer phone or web meetings, internal or factory acceptance tests.
• Responsible of participating in the Handover to Software meeting, internal testing and Factory Acceptance Testing.
• Support the test team with system troubleshooting, including PLC, HMI and communication networks.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical or controls engineering or similar.
• Effective communication skills both verbal and written, both 1-1 and group situations.
• 5 years or more experience in an engineering environment for turbomachinery control systems.
• 5 years or more experience with different controls and automation software.
• Software design and development experience.
• PLC programming and configuration, preferably using RSLogix 5000.
• Knowledge about redundancy in PLC architecture.
• Self-taught, ability to read technical manuals, understand them and implement when writing software.
• Basic HMI programming or troubleshooting experience.
• Knowledge of industrial communication protocols including OPC, Modbus, Ethernet, Profibus, etc.
• Ability to read P&IDs and electrical schematics.
• Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills.
• Software engineers often work under pressure, to tight deadlines and within budget.
• Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Strong team working skills.
• A high level of attention to detail.
• An understanding of, and ability to work with, high-level computer technology.
• Adaptable to change, able to switch between different control systems platforms on different projects.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• PLC: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, Siemens S7, Triconex, GE Rx3i.
• HMI: Wonderware, WinCC Professional, InduSoft Web Studio, Factory Talk View ME and SE.
• Familiar with Dresser-Rand rotating equipment.
• Familiar with Rolls-Royce aero-derivative equipment.
• Familiar with Woodward Micronet and CCC.
• Familiar with ISA standards, hazardous area classifications.
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years