Business Unit: Service Controls and Digitalization
Requisition Number: 240559
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Software Engineer – Rotating Equipment/Turbo Machinery
The software engineer is responsible for programming diverse complex control systems for rotating equipment, including but not limited to reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, steam and gas turbines, and aero derivative gas turbines.
The job is to make sure that the systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
A thorough understanding of the organization as the role includes multidisciplinary activities, working closely with colleagues around the world and across different functions including Application Leads, Operations, Procurement and other Engineering teams.
Software engineers report to Stephen Towner, Software Manager. The software team is part of the Engineering team together with the Application Leads and Drafting. All part of the Gas and Power Siemens Division, Services and Digital group.
Primary location: US – Texas – Houston. At Houston Telge office.
- Software design and development for rotating equipment control system applications based on given requirements and specifications, for new equipment and existing equipment (modifications/upgrades).
- Machine control algorithms implementation on various PLC based systems, based on specifications.
- Duties will include generation of PLC Code, defining Modbus, OPC or DCS interfaces, Bently Nevada configuration, technical notes, documenting field change modifications, Installation and Commissioning, FAT and SAT detailed procedures if required.
- Less than 5% travel/year expected.
- 5% availability outside regular work hours, to support customer phone or web meetings, internal or factory acceptance tests.
- Responsible of participating in the Handover to Software meeting, internal testing and Factory Acceptance Testing.
- Support the test team with system troubleshooting, including PLC, HMI and communication networks.
Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or controls engineering or similar.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written, both 1-1 and group situations.
- 5 years or more experience in an engineering environment for turbomachinery control systems.
- 5 years or more experience with different controls and automation software.
- Software design and development experience.
- PLC programming and configuration, preferably using RSLogix 5000.
- Knowledge about redundancy in PLC architecture.
- Self-taught, ability to read technical manuals, understand them and implement when writing software.
- Basic HMI programming or troubleshooting experience.
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols including OPC, Modbus, Ethernet, Profibus, etc.
- Ability to read P&IDs and electrical schematics.
- Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills.
- Software engineers often work under pressure, to tight deadlines and within budget.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong team working skills.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- An understanding of, and ability to work with, high-level computer technology.
- Adaptable to change, able to switch between different control systems platforms on different projects.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- PLC: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, Siemens S7, Triconex, GE Rx3i.
- HMI: Wonderware, WinCC Professional, InduSoft Web Studio, Factory Talk View ME and SE.
- Familiar with Dresser-Rand rotating equipment.
- Familiar with Rolls-Royce aero-derivative equipment.
- Familiar with Woodward Micronet and CCC.
- Familiar with ISA standards, hazardous area classifications.