Business Unit: Onshore
Requisition Number: 240679
Primary Location: United States-Kansas-Wichita
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
As a key member of the Site Operation Support Americas team within CNS BOP TL, the Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for coordination of technical case management within plant. He/she will support the team by demonstrating skills /capabilities development, process definition, and internal department communication. Additionally, he/she will coordinate with other regional engineer groups in matters associated with handling of main WTG components during the construction phase of project management.
- Primary responsibility for wind turbine tooling and equipment used for field construction, maintenance, and service.
- Participate as a technical expert in the evaluation of wind turbine mechanical systems including but not limited to the areas of electro-mechanical yaw system, fluid cooling systems and mechanical structures.
- Responsible for day to day operations engineering support to the Wichita Tooling Center.
- Responsible for providing engineering dispositions to the non-conformance (NC) cases reported by the warehouse.
- Support Procurement group on clarifying technical specifications to vendors on NCs.
- Work with Solution Owner Engineers globally to make design changes on the responsible installation tooling and equipment following the internal process.
- Exhibit an ability to diagnose issues with running equipment or equipment in production, based on factory reports and communication.
- Capable of providing a detailed repair instruction and bill of materials, which result in increased equipment availability and reliability.
- Create and analyze technical reports necessary to document the steps of the NC disposition.
- Generate cost-out measures and ensure implementation.
- Ensure time to market and quality in the deliveries to our projects.
- Responsible for collaborating with regional and global teams to ensure designs are corrected or developments are carried out to resolve design issues.
- Ensure best practices and lessons learned are shared across platforms to facilitate knowledge sharing and encourage collaboration.
- Provide Engineering support for construction activities, to include:
- Electrical components lead (power units, generators, motors, cables, electrical cabinets, controllers, grounding, lightning, etc.)
- Heavy lift rigging and equipment required to load, off-load, and assemble WTG.
- Portable hydraulic power unit design, and large electro-mechanical material handling devices. (grab, lift, and control blades, tower sections, and rotor assemblies during construction)
- Provide Technical Coordination for assigned internal stakeholders in CNS Technical office. Coordinate technical discussions for region specific tooling requirements needed in support of site project execution.
- Prepare and assist tools development using platform development (face to face or conference call, video) when requested and agreed to lead on priority topics.
- Provide project plans; includes project schedules, specifications, work instructions, job hazard analysis, etc.
- Provide Engineering support for Supply Chain activities for vendor qualification/evaluation as well as technical response for material solution and dispositions.
- Coordinate with other regional engineers in order to share customer experience and issues (common issues, customer communications).
- Use excellent written and verbal communication skills to describe complex faults, participate in preparation of reports, and follow up to final resolution.
- Escalate, through the Support process and standard tools, customer issues that require resolution.
- Show professionalism, respect, and understanding when supporting wind technicians.
- Provide remote support and leadership to on-site implementation project managers, and identifies required training for technicians related to special projects.
- Document standardized business procedures and systems to support the operations; includes design reviews, product change management, unit configuration records, ECN generation, etc.
- Identify process improvements; including reduction of non-value added operations, increased productivity opportunities, increased safety opportunities, etc.
- Communicate with external and internal customers on project status and updates throughout all stages of project.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or related field of study mandatory. A sound understanding of and skill in several activities which involve a variety of practices and precedents, OR a basic understanding of the theory and principles in a scientific or similar discipline.
1. Strong understanding or experience with FMEA of electrical heavy machinery.
2. Strong understanding of electrical power system operation and performance in steady state and fault conditions required.
3. Must be familiar with 3-phase power converters and power units, power electronics cabling, etc.
4. Must be familiar with ANSI and ASME standards/guidelines relating to design and use of heavy under hook lifting, hoisting devices.
5. Electrical codes/standards for Wind Power Plants (IEC, IEEE, NEMA, NERC, FERC, WECC, ERCOT, UL, FAA, etc.)
6. Accomplished in implementing practical procedures or systems which are moderately complex, and/or specialized skills which require some technical knowledge to apply.
7. May provide expert advice, training, and technical assistance to support staff and train lower level employees.
8. High communication and presentation proficiency.
9. Comfortable in working within multi-cultural and multi-national team.
10. Highly energetic, self-driven, and task oriented Core Competency.
11. Will be required to participate on local/regional/national/international working groups in this area of specialty.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
1. Power system controls, Motors and Motor Protection.
2. Instrumentation, relaying/metering, Solid understanding of major wind turbine components and functions.
3. Extensive training and experience (>5 years) in the service, maintenance, repair and solution development of rotating electric machines.
4. Wind turbine technical competency, operations management in the wind power service industry, or project management certification (PMP, CAPM, PM@Siemens or other) is an asset.
Primary working conditions are an office environment. Travel to wind power site locations is required, which may include climbing wind turbines, working outdoors in cold or hot weather, and strenuous physical effort. International travel may be required. Total travel requirement expected to be approximately 20%.
Primarily internal contacts within Siemens Gamesa Region Americas and global counterparts.
Direction of Others
Provide specialized guidance or train support and/or professional staff. Leadership qualities and role model qualities demonstrated.
Key Working Relationships
Primarily intra-organizational contacts and external contacts.
• Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
• BS degree in relevant engineering field from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree preferred.
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Preferred experience in the areas of equipment design and manufacture, machine shop principles, and machine repair practices.
• Knowledge of mechanical structures and analysis (welding, casting, and forgings).
• Strong analytical skills and theoretical background in mechanical systems.
• Hands on experience with 3D CAD design systems to aid in the design process.
• Expertise and experience with SAP, TeamCenter and NX.
• Excellent communication skills required.
• Strong team player and familiar with working in large matrix organizations.
• Knowledge and experience with Wind Power products and SGRE Design methodology preferred.
• Ability to travel 20%