Business Unit: Regional Solutions & Services Americas
Requisition Number: 240730
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Beaverton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens Building Technologies is growing! We are currently searching for an experienced Design Engineer (System Engineer I) to support our Building Automation Solutions HVAC Controls group in Portland OR. This office-based position is responsible for the design of building automation systems using company tools and operating protocols.
Receives project specifications from sales team and designs building automation system and service installed jobs.
• Chooses the appropriate mix of products and installation methods to provide the most cost effective solution.
• Prepares all required submittals and schedules subsequent hand-off to operations.
• Handles the ordering of all required products and equipment.
• Acts as a technical resource to team and customer as needed.
• Participates in sales to operations turnover meetings to evaluate accuracy of the sales estimate and job layout.
• May participate in initial job site walk through with contractors and/or building management.
• Independently designs building automation systems for standard and/or critical environment facilities such as data centers or laboratories.
• May need to create unique design solutions to meet specific customer requirements.
• Designs building automation systems for large and/or complex buildings consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials, sequence of operations, valve and damper schedules, DDC panel layouts to meet the intent of the project plans, specifications and contract documents.
• Designs mainly large complex building automation network architecture to support operator workstations, DDC field panels, third-party integration devices connected through LON, Ethernet, Siemens P2 or BACNET.
• Analyzes plans, construction contract specifications and codes to determine project requirements and risks.
• Generates DDC point database on all projects.
• Provides start-up and checkout documentation to the Project Manager and system specialist for use in commissioning and validation.
• Prepares engineering re-estimate and follows up with appropriate sales and management to assure understanding of and satisfaction with job scope.
• Prepares specifications and drawings for special components and panels purchased from outside suppliers.
• Selects proper types and sizes of company products and outside suppliers to meet project requirements.
• Prepares all information on pre-installation extras or change orders to submit to customer or general/ subcontractor.
• Oversees the creation of system graphics.
• Ensures the job folder is organized and maintained including all pertinent job related information.
• Orders and tracks all required products and materials for timely delivery on the job site.
• May perform some field activities as required.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Required education: High School Diploma, GED, or high school proficiency exam.
• Required experience: 2-5 years of an engineering background relevant to the type of systems design skills needed for this role.
• Required travel: 5%
• Other requirements:
o Must be organized and have excellent written and verbal skills in English.
o Must be able to design medium to large standard jobs with some deviation using standard tools, products, or practices.
o Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
o Must be able to work in the U.S. without a need for current or future sponsorship.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree Mechanical or Electrical Engineering with up to two years of industry experience.
• Strong knowledge of industry engineering fundamentals and business operations.
• AutoCAD, CAD Training or any related Engineering Design Software.
- Siemens is a globally diversified engineering powerhouse: an opportunity such as this one can open doors to engineering practices and businesses new to you, preparing you for a great future with potential in so many types of fields—sustainability, energy, medical technologies, to name a few—in almost any location you ever dreamed of exploring.
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent health, dental, and vision plans with many options from which to choose.
- All employees receive Life Insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- 401k match dollar for dollar up to 6% of gross salary.
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available.
- Extensive product training and professional career development.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.