Business Unit: Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics
Requisition Number: 240851
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Irving
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics is in search of a dynamic, experienced and talented Engineering Manager. The Engineering Manager manages all Hardware engineering product development activities within a department including design, development, production and testing. Implements and maintains overall engineering objectives and initiatives. Confronts and solves performance/operational issues to improve development efficiency. Leads and develops the engineering team. Oversees a robust project management process and delivery timelines to keep projects on schedule and on budget. Typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. Provide input into developing the budget. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments. This position will be responsible for Hardware Engineering including Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. Additional areas of responsibility include DFMA and Engineering Support services.
The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide thought leadership necessary to manage and develop a team.
• Strong leadership presence to engage with the highest levels at SPPAL.
• Exceptional business acumen and demonstrated ability to advance thinking to “best in class”, with a financial and technical mindset.
• Proven record of innovation and thoughtful risk-taking.
• Appreciation for controlled execution and applicable regulatory requirements.
• Ability to concisely articulate complex information in both verbal and written form.
• Strong interpersonal skills to both partner with and influence stakeholders.
• Strong product development understanding of what it takes to deliver product to the market
• Guide technical activities and develop technical skills within a given discipline to ensure department, proposal, project, and customer needs are satisfied.
• Ensure discipline related technical processes, procedures, and best practices are defined, documented, and followed in daily engineering activities.
• Use problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills to help the team operate effectively and efficiently.
• Coordinate team communications to ensure clear understanding of performance expectations and emerging issues.
• Ensure realistic project plans are developed and successfully executed within approved budget, scope, and quality constraints.
• Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, customer specifications, and internal development processes.
• Communicate and document “institutional (tribal) knowledge” to ensure this beneficial information is shared and available to others as the company continues to grow.
• Ensure departmental and project compliance with agreed budgets and schedules.
• Provide estimates for effort and cost in support of proposal activities and progress reporting
• Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Project Management methodology and associated project tracking
• Identify training, capital, and expense needs for assigned disciplines, support generation and monitoring of the Engineering Department’s annual budget.
• Manage employee performance:
• Coach employees and provide feedback with respect to work products produced and adherence to process.
• Conduct Performance Reviews and recommend salary increases and promotions.
• Coach on processes and engineering skills with new hires and in developmental areas with others, as appropriate.
• Provide guidance on contacts within the SPPAL organization.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering.
• Master’s degree in engineering management or business administration required
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience with 5 years in a multi-disciplinary leadership role in product development. This shall include hands on experience design, development, and problem solving associated with complex electromechanical systems.
• Working knowledge of electrical power and controls, mechanical design principles including complex mechanisms, fluid power, and system level interactions.
• Expert troubleshooting ability.
• Experience defining complex product structure that supports high volume production.
• Demonstrated success in a product-based environment and working with specific customers to develop customized solutions.
• Expertise in selection of design, commissioning, and testing tools.
• The ability to lead others in the successful design and development of complex systems.
• Must be highly flexible regarding work schedule and responsibilities.
• Must be a consummate team player.
• Excellent, C-level, verbal and written communications skills are a must. Interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
• Strong coaching skills to provide training and development for the organization.
• Strong capability to be the bridge between product development and manufacturing.
• Demonstrated ability to motivate others and achieve results.
• Demonstrated commitment for product and process improvement.
• Customer-focused in defining quality and establishing priorities.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.