Quality Engineer for Continual Improvement
Business Unit: Large Drives Applications
Requisition Number: 241333
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-New Kensington
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Completes actions in-line with Quality Department’s goals.
Primary Responsibilities include identifying & assisting the Operations Engineering department with detecting & mitigating process gaps that lead to quality issues along with recognizing productivity inefficiencies then identifying and implementing solutions, methods, and procedures. This role will focus efforts on quality control within our engineering processes; distinguishing between “standard order engineering processes” & “complex order engineering processes”, then working to eliminate risks in order to ensure continuous quality, reduction of rework / nonconforming costs (NCC), and increased engineering efficiency.
The Quality Engineer for Operations Engineering Process will be primarily responsible for the development and implementation of complex performance measurement and improvement initiatives. Performs complex analysis and investigations; gathering data to determine the process’ potential to create a non-conformance. Completes analysis of existing processes to ensure effective operations, specifically targeting the ability to produce world-class quality engineered designs. Provides recommendations for processes to ensure alignment with strategic direction. Coordinates necessary process changes (through standardization, improvement, simplification, discontinuance, or other methods) and leads implementation of solutions. Integrates business processes between multiple organizations. Actively participates in the order design phase to ensure error-proof manufacturing and engineering techniques are utilized.
Further, responsibilities of this position will include conducting audits of our Integrated Management System as a part of our internal audit team, and supporting the IMS Quality System programs to ensure system compliance to Siemens, Registrar, and Customer requirements. Conducts and facilitates team-driven root cause analysis of product or process failures and drives implementation of efficient and effective corrective actions. Supports and facilitates use of Q-Methods like FMEA, CAPA, Fishbone, Fault Tree Analytics, 8D, Lean, 5-Why, etc. Provides support of Quality or other functions as needed.
This individual independently performs full range of standard work in the professional field. Identifies and resolves more complex problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal with most situations. Frequent communication with inter-organizational & external contacts.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS in related discipline, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification may be required in some areas.
- Considerable experience utilizing problem solving tools & quality assurance methodologies including Plan-Do-Check-Act (A3), 8D, Kaizen, Lean Cell Design, Error-Proofing, Failure Mode Effects Analysis, 5-Why, Ishikawa, etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 standards and auditing
- Demonstrates and applies a broad knowledge of field of specialization through successful completion of moderately complex assignments
- Successfully applies knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures in particular area of specialization.
- Demonstrates knowledge of organization's business practices and issues
- Typically 3 or more years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of key responsibilities and knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.