Business Unit: Legal & Compliance
Requisition Number: 241360
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Lead IP Attorney
The responsibilities of this Lead IP attorney include strategically advising the business leadership for a business line of the in vitro diagnostic business, such as the Point of Care or Molecular Diagnostic business lines, in all IP related issues in a manner that promotes trust, teamwork and inspires confidence. The candidate will be responsible for developing and driving the IP strategy for that business line of Siemens Healthineers. The candidate will interact directly with business leadership of that business and report to the Head of Intellectual Property for the In Vitro Diagnostic business. The candidate will be viewed as a business partner and will be expected to contribute to the success of the business by actively driving IP processes and strategies and providing practical IP legal advice to meet the objectives of the business. The qualified candidate will have a strong drive for results.
Essential Job Functions:
· As an integral part of the business advise on and drive business decisions concerning IP aspects together with the business leadership, R&D organization, business development, strategy and legal department for the business line.
· · Develop and drive the implementation of an IP strategy for a business line of Siemens Healthineers
· Pro-actively work to safeguard protection of intellectual property rights
· Manage complex IP litigations and coordinate with all relevant stakeholders in the business line organization, investigate and render legal advice in connection with third-party IP claims
· Drive the implementation of an IP protection strategy for the business line together with relevant partners in the business organization to secure rights to proprietary technologies including management of preparation, filing and prosecuting of patents and trademarks and copyright applications internally and via outside counsel
· Ensure freedom to operate for the business line by implementation of appropriate defensive IP measures and by providing expert legal advice in connection with product IP clearances and patent investigations
· Support collaborations with external business partners by actively negotiating IP-related agreements and legally advising internal business stakeholders for the business line.
· Actively support M&A transactions and associated due diligence activities for the business line.
· Good inter-personal communication skills and a keen ability to interact effectively
· 7 to 10 + years of experience as a practicing attorney in the IP field of law
· JD Degree in Law from an accredited institution
· Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology from an accredited institution
· Admitted to practice law in a US state and before USPTO and familiarity with IP law in EP and CN
· Experience in IP prosecution, counseling, litigation, product IP clearances, patent investigations, and IP-related agreements
· Experience and/or background in the medical diagnostic field is preferred but not required.
Tarrytown, New York