Commissioning Department Manager - High Voltage Substations
Business Unit: EPC Projects
Requisition Number: 241372
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Raleigh
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 75%
The energy mix is changing fundamentally in many places and Siemens is shaping the backbone of future energy systems! Our Raleigh office is looking for a Commissioning Department Engineer to add to their growing team. This position will provide the candidate with the opportunity to manage all aspects of the high voltage EPC commissioning business and work with innovative technology such as STATCOM and Synchronous Condenser Solutions. Around the country these projects pave the way for the secure, stable, and efficient power transmission grid of the future.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our employees to act as owners, make decisions and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you!
- Day to day management and execution of all aspects of commissioning department
- Management of a team of commissioning professionals, which may include a mix of both internal and external, trade and engineering backgrounds.
- Develop and oversee execution of the commissioning process, Standardize commissioning plans and procedures.
- Develop work instructions and scope of work for commissioning.
- Resource Planning and coordination
- Ensure work is executed according to applicable industry standards, client requirements, and processes.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop team members and contractors.
- Initially this candidate will be responsible for developing the commissioning department and processes needed, while managing commissioning for projects in the existing backlog.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
1. 8 years of professional experience in high voltage utility substation commissioning. circuit breakers, power transformers, instrument transformers, and substation protection and control testing.
2. Bachelor’s Degree is desired, although a combination of education (HS Diploma or GED equivalency is a minimum requirement) and directly related work experience will also be considered.
3. Experience with ATS NETA testing Specifications
4. Strong understanding of high voltage substation components including function, operation and testing methodologies.
5. Strong knowledge of protective relaying, end to end testing, equipment wiring diagrams, AC & DC schematics, communication schematics, and AC & DC load distribution.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
7. Excellent verbal, written, and organization skills.
8. Must have the ability to travel 75% of the time.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
1. Prior experience with FACTS or HVDC technology.
2. Electrical utility, industrial plant, or system integrator experience.
3. PE with an electrical engineering background.
4. First aid, CPR and OSHA 30 certification, or ability to complete.
5. High voltage design experience.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years.