I. JOB SUMMARY
Under the supervision of a fire alarm system engineer, security system engineer or the engineering supervisor, the CAD Drafter performs a variety of drafting activities including preparing/updating various installation shop drawings for projects and maintaining a library of CAD standard symbols, blocks and wiring details. Other duties to be performed as assigned.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepare floor plan drawings, riser drawings, device wiring details and panel wiring details for fire alarm system and security system installation shop drawings.
• Revise and update existing shop drawings as requested by the system engineer, project manager or the customer.
• Works with engineering supervisor to maintain and develop engineering/drafting standards for installation drawings which will be utilized by the engineering department.
• Generate bill of materials, voltage drop calculations and other documentation for use by the lead engineer on the project.
Produce 11x17, C-size & D-size hardcopies and PDFs of shop drawings as required by the customer.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of third party items and services data base. Review and modify information with supervision by the Director of Engineering. Make data available to fire alarm and security system engineers and project managers.
• Other duties relating to CAD as required by the engineering supervisor.
III. REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• High school.
• Completion of a technical trade school course in AutoCAD 2010 or newer is highly desirable.
• Experience using Autocad 2D design software (required).
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
IV. SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE and ABILITIES
• Proficient in AutoCAD software.
• Excellent communications skills: interpersonal, listening, oral, and written.
• Skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft Office.
• Able to generate shop drawings from hand sketches produced by the lead fire alarm or security system engineer.
• Knowledgeable in standard drafting practices and procedures.
• Able to work with moderate supervision, efficiently schedule and manage time.
V. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• The CAD Drafter must be able to concentrate for extended periods of time paying close attention to detail. The CAD Drafter's work environment does not require much physical movement. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
VI. WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is an office environment located in Florham Park, NJ. There may be occasional field trips to customer sites required in this job where dust and noise may be present. There may be training classes in Florham Park or other training centers in the US.