Business Unit: Research in Digitalization and Automation
Requisition Number: 242183
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: None
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Summer Inter: Advanced Robotics
Are you ready to make a difference and create the Future of Automation? Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
We are looking for a motivated R&D Intern in the area of robotics, machine learning, and AI. The intern may be involved in different layers of the technology stack in the development and application of robotic perception, manipulation, trajectory generation and environment representation. Responsibilities include building the software infrastructure to develop and verify novel robotic technologies, and training and deploying models in simulation and hardware.
For more than170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. Siemens’ central research and development arm sees itself as a strategic partner to the company’s businesses. It plays a key role in achieving and maintaining leading competitive positions in the fields of electrification and automation while at the same time helping Siemens fully tap into the growth field of digitalization.
Our Berkeley facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
This position will be based at our Siemens Digital Factory office in Campbell, CA:
What are my responsibilities?
- You will apply your robotics knowledge to solve challenging problems that will stretch your ability to engineer and design smart robotic systems;
- You will contribute to a research project focused on enabling precise and robust motion control for robotic systems;
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of robotics, ROS, deep learning, reinforcement learning and embedded AI.
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes.
- A current BSc, MSc or PhD student in a graduate program in Mechatronics, Robotics, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or related field;
- Prior experience in robotics, embedded systems and automation systems;
- Prior experience programming collaborative robots
- Experience in one of the following areas of robotics: perception, planning, control, modeling and simulation;
- Experience in C/C++ programming
- Experience in a Linux-based software development environment; Further experience in Scripting languages such as Python is a plus;
- Experience with Yaskawa robots is a plus
- Proven experience executing tasks on fast paced research projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#